Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
coreya123
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: corey arndt

Backing Up Oracle and Replicating Data w/Exagrid

Post by coreya123 »

Hello,
I am working to have Veeam backup our Oracle server and log files to an Exagrid appliance. This appears to be working fine. Once backed up the Exagrid is to replicate the data to a remote Exagrid appliance and remote Veeam server. This is somewhat working.

The issue I am having is that since Veeam is keeping a backup file open on the Exagrid (for log files) the Exagrid is not starting the replication process until Veeam closes the file...so my replications only happen once a day :(.

If I look at the 'Running' jobs under Last 24 Hours I see that the Daily Oracle Redo Log Backup is running and has been running since 2am.

Does anyone know if there is a way to ensure that Veeam closes all backup files after the job so that my Exagrid will replicate?

Thank You
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1417 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Backing Up Oracle and Replicating Data w/Exagrid

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Hi Corey,

Veeam do not recommend to use storage replication as with Backup Copy Job there will be a second backup chain which is more reliable against all kind of issues.
Potentially you can inactivate the Job for a specific time, let the Exagrid replication happen and then enable the Job again.

You can find some script examples for this in our PowerShell forum if needed.

Maybe as well contact Exagrid. Maybe they have additional ideas.