Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
gperson
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Guillaume Person

Offsite Backup optimal configuration

Post by gperson »

Hi all,

I have a situation where by several of our clients, a secondary Offsite Job is configured with USB disks rotated daily, and with how it is currently configured, most of the usb disks are holding just one tiny full backup.
The Repositories are configured with "rotated hard drives" checked, and the registry edit deleteing previous chains each time Veeam detect the disk have been switched.
I find that a bit dumb, that there is no possibility as far as i can see, for Veeam to Follow the disk changes and fill up the disks with one fullbackup each and incrementals, like it does with Veeam Agent..

Am i missing something ? what would be the best way to have as much retention points as possible on every disks ?

Thanks in advance for your help :)
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Offsite Backup optimal configuration

Post by veremin »

What kind of job are you using? You can achieve your goal by having backup copy pointed to such backup repository (check for backup copy jobs section). Don't forget to remove the given registry key. Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Right, just make sure the repository is Windows, not CIFS.
gperson
Service Provider

Post by gperson »

v.Eremin wrote: Nov 29, 2018 5:38 pm What kind of job are you using? You can achieve your goal by having backup copy pointed to such backup repository (check for backup copy jobs section). Don't forget to remove the given registry key. Thanks!
Hi !

At the moment i'm using standard jobs, the same configuration as for a NAS of RAID Configuration, but with the "ForceDeleteBackupFiles " registry key set..
gperson
Service Provider

Post by gperson »

You guys mean that if i switch to backup copy job (and remove the registry key), it'll automatically make a diffential from the last restore point found on the disk ? And fill it up according to the retention policy ?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Correct, backup copy job is capable of continuing incremental chains on rotated drives, unless you use CIFS repository (that's the only limitation). Thanks!