Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
irofrank
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Frank Iro

Features Supported when using NetApp Storage Snapshot Integration

Post by irofrank »

Hi,

I have a customer that has a NetApp + HP environment (storage & compute respectively) across 3 sites. They've been using Commvault Simpana for backup, replication & archiving, but feel it's too complex and troublesome. I'm looking to propose Veeam, but have a couple of questions regarding what functionality is available when Integrating with storage snapshots:

1. I'm aware you can us Veeam to create storage snapshot on NetApp, and initiate replication to DR via SnapMirror. My question is, can I perform 1-click failover in this scenario? Or must the replication be done via Veeam for 1-click failover to work?

2. Can I create storage snapshots and initiate replication (snapmirror) to a second system and backup (snapvault) to a third system? And i don't mean cascading. I mean "fan-out".

3. Is integration with NetApp storage snapshots supported on 7-mode ONTAP, or just Clustered-Mode?

Would appreciate some insight.

Thanks.
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1177 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Re: Features Supported when using NetApp Storage Snapshot Integration

Post by nielsengelen »

1. 1-click failover is available for replication jobs done by Veeam, not on storage level.
2. You can send it to a secondary system but not to a third system from the Veeam GUI, this would require a custom call to the second netapp to move it to the third netapp device.
3. Both are supported.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Frank, just to avoid possible confusion, since you've posted in the Hyper-V subforum - storage integration and ability to backup from storage snapshots provided by Veeam B&R is a VMware-only feature. For Hyper-V, this integration is native and technically similar functionality (so called off-host backup) is achieved with the help of storage hardware providers.
irofrank
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Frank Iro

Post by irofrank »

Thanks vmniels and foggy.

Quick one for you foggy. I'm not looking to create backups from storage snapshots, but rather to use Veeam snapshot-only backup feature, where it creates the storage snapshot backups. Are you saying that the snapshot-only backup is currently only supported on VMware and not Hyper-V?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Yes, this functionality is VMware-specific.