Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
JaFF
Novice
Liked: never

Replication - Multiple Disks to different datastores

Post by JaFF »

Hi,

I am currently running a 30 day trial and have just started to configure a test replication job.
I have a test VM running SQL2008 and it has the following disks:
C - 50GB (RAID5 LUN)
D - 150GB (RAID5 LUN)
E - 100GB (RAID10 LUN)

So basically two different datastores.
I do not have a lot of room to play with at the moment storage wise and as such will not be keeping many replica's.
My Production storage layout is identical to my DR storage layout in terms of LUNs and sizes.

All I want to do is replicate a single copy (maybe a couple of replica points) of my VM from the Prod site, to the DR site with the exact same disk layout.
Should be pretty simple, basic stuff.

I must be missing something though, when I go through the replication wizard I can only select a single datastore to replicate to. As I mentioned above, I have space limitations and need to replicate to the opposing DR LUNs (2 datastores).

Is this possible?

Regards,

J
ccrichard
Enthusiast
Full Name: Richard Yamauchi

Re: Replication - Multiple Disks to different datastores

Post by ccrichard »

The only way I know is to create a separate job for each vmdk that you want to backup to a different datastore. In the job properties you can excluded certain vmdks from a job.
What I don't know is if you can use replication to do this, I know you can use a backup job that will do this.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

That's correct, currently the only way to replicate VMs to multiple datastores is to use separate jobs. Here is an existing topic with the same discussion: Replicating single VM to multiple datastores - possible?
JaFF
Novice

Post by JaFF »

That is a shame.
I need to be able to replicate my virtual machines to different datastores and my current solution allows me to do that.
Unfortunately my current solution does not allow me to exclude time periods during the day like Veeam does.

The first is more important at this stage so I'll just have to wait until this is included in a future release.