Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
bgalante
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Brian Galante

Mixed HCI and legacy ESX - EnableSameHost X Mode

Post by bgalante »

Hi,

I have an Vmware env consisting of HPE Simplivity nodes and Legacy ESX hosts connected to FC storage (IBM XIV).

I'm trying to figure out how to back them all up via one B&R Server, I've come across docs about using EnableSameHostHotAddMode and / or EnableSameHostDirectNFSMode for HCI Hosts.
I understand I need to have a proxy on each HCI node to make this work, this appears to be a setting on the B&R Server, I assume it would be global if set.

My question is, How can I exclude my legacy FC connected hosts from this config? I don't want to build a proxy for each of my legacy hosts.
Specifying which proxy to use in the job settings would likely not work either if VM's move from host to host.

Is there a way to accomplish this, or should I just setup another B&R Server to manage the HCI hosts separately?

If anyone has any past experiences with this type of scenario I would be grateful to hear about what was done in this situation.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Mixed HCI and legacy ESX - EnableSameHost X Mode

Post by foggy »

Hi Brian, what transport mode do you use to back up VMs residing on the FC storage and what kind of datastores are located there? Basically, this registry value allows for failover to another available proxy, in case there's no proxy on the same host.
bgalante
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Brian Galante

Re: Mixed HCI and legacy ESX - EnableSameHost X Mode

Post by bgalante » 1 person likes this post

Thank you for the reply Foggy!

I use Hotadd for the VM's on FC storage, and they are VMFS 5 datastores. Vsphere ver is 5.5.

After a couple days of research, it seems the best way to go is NBD.

I have a pending case open with HPE asking for their latest recommendations using Veeam to backup VM's on their HCI product.

I will post that here when they give me their final answer. Thank you so much!