Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
singy2002
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Andrew Singleton

Moving a Veeam Server

Post by singy2002 »

Hi,I have a queriy before i do a job for a customer.

Scenario
Single host company with site A and B. Currently the company has a host at site A (Host1) I am installing a new better host which will become the only host at the site, everything from host 1 will be moved to host 2, then host 1 renamed and taken to the DR site, here it will become a host for veeam replicas.

Q1, If after moving all VM's to host 2, can i setup a veeam replica task to replicate to the original host (still on the same site) then later when i move the host and change IP etc will it still work? the link between the two sites is pretty slow, so im looking to avoid a long initial replication over the WAN.

I think i will need to remove the source from the veeam server and readd it with the new details.

Anything i am missing which could be prevented/done differently?

Regards
Andy
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Moving a Veeam Server

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Andrew,
singy2002 wrote:Q1, If after moving all VM's to host 2, can i setup a veeam replica task to replicate to the original host (still on the same site) then later when i move the host and change IP etc will it still work? the link between the two sites is pretty slow, so im looking to avoid a long initial replication over the WAN.
Yes, it should work. You can change IP address of the host, but make sure you have added host via FQDN to the backup console. You can use replica seeding option in order not to transfer all the data across the WAN.
singy2002 wrote:I think i will need to remove the source from the veeam server and readd it with the new details.
Anything i am missing which could be prevented/done differently?
Removing host object from the backup console will also remove all the replica/backup jobs from the backup console. Thus you'll be forced to re-create everything from scratch.

Thanks.
singy2002
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Andrew Singleton

Re: Moving a Veeam Server

Post by singy2002 »

Ok, thanks, ill give that a try.