Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
lge
Novice
Liked: never

Tape server only for repositories backup ?

Post by lge »

Hello;
Please do apologise my english...

We have two Veeam servers (Windows 2016, Veeam B&R 9.5u3; we also have Veeam ONE on a dedicated server; we use Vsphere 6.0) :

*One virtual wich backups VM to a NAS on a daily basis, with retention rules and so on, reverse incremental
*One physical only for backup to tape once a month. Last chain only. Based on repositories.

Before both were on the same Veeam physical server (2008).

I migrate the configuration on both new servers and clean up jobs; I only keep the backup to tape job on the physical one.
I rescan the repositiories with a powershell script as a pre-job setting, to have the database up to date before the job. This worked on the old server when I first move the daily jobs on a new server. Now that I have a new physical server for the tape device, the job stops after a couple of seconds "no new files to backup per job settings" : but the jobs on the other server are running correctly and they are ended before the tape job. Repositories are rescanned correctly.

I can not use the files to tape kind of job without mapping the NAS as a network drive. I would prefer not doing that, too many files, about 4TB.

Do we need to have backup jobs corresponding to the repositories on the same server to have the backup to tape job running ?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Tape server only for repositories backup ?

Post by veremin »

Do we need to have backup jobs corresponding to the repositories on the same server to have the backup to tape job running ?
Correct, both backup (or backup copy) and backup to tape jobs should exist within the same server in order for the described backup strategy to work. Thanks!
lge
Novice

Post by lge »

ok, thanks. But it seems odd to me since you can't just take the repositories and put them on the tape... You can still restore files or VM after importing and inventoring the tape.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

The second backup server does not manage those backups jobs, so it knows little about them and backup files they produce.

Its configuration database does not have any references to those entities, using which it might leverage backup to tape functionality. So, the only option you have is file to tape job that operates with files (not backups or repositories).

Thanks!
lge
Novice

Post by lge »

I thought the rescan of repositories was sufficient enough to make the database aware of those backups.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Backups discovered this way do not have any associations with backup or backup copy jobs, and therefore cannot be archived via backup to tape job. Thanks!