Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
gperson
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Guillaume Person

[Protection Group]Unable to install backup agent

Post by gperson »

Hi All !

I was waiting for the update 3 in order to put in place the backup of one of our client's workstation, i updated this afternoon and it looks really promising, but...
I created a Protection Group and when I launch the AD discovery, it detects correctly all the machines in the selected groups but fails to connect to some of them with the following error:
"Unable to install backup agent: cannot connect to.. Failed to install Installer's DLL."

The machine(s) in question are online and perfectly reachable, everything was restarted, DNS/DHCP settings are correct, I really have no idea where it is coming from.. Any idea ?

Thanks in advance,

Guillaume.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: [Protection Group]Unable to install backup agent

Post by Dima P. »

Hello and welcome to the community Guillaume,

Please check the following:

1. Network sharing should be enabled on these computers.
2. These computers should resolve the DNS name of your backup server to its IP address correctly.

Also, please clarify what operating system these hosts are running? Thank you in advance.
gperson
Service Provider
Full Name: Guillaume Person

Post by gperson »

Hi !

Thanks for your answer !

1) Network Sharing is activated on the Veeam Server and the client,
2) They both resolve each other
3) The Veeam Server is Windwos 10, the cllient is a Windows 7 SP1..

I also checked, the Firewall is deactivated on both machines, the Veeam Server has access to the $admin share, and the client has access to the default repository (Veeam Endpoint was manually instaled/configured)
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Do the problematic client machines have older version of Veeam Agent for Windows installed? If yes, please check if you see these hosts under Inventory > Unmanaged protection group.
marcinK3
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Marcin Dlugosz

Post by marcinK3 »

I also can not install or upgrade VAW remotely. I receiving errors:
NEW PC - Unable to install backup agent: cannot connect to K3PC04 Error: Failed to resolve host name 'K3PC04'.
PC with VAW used previously: Cannot connect to K3PC01 Details: The network path was not found. The network path was not found. (ERROR_BAD_NETPATH).

I working without AD, file sharing are enabled on both VBR and PC's. AV is temporary disabled, Windows FW too.
I can ping hosts by IP or DNS in both sides.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

From the errors it's clear there are some DNS issues in the environment. Please open a support case if you need help troubleshooting those - one of our support engineers can hold a webex session with you. Thanks!
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Marcin,

Indeed, it looks like the short name of your host cannot be resolved by Veeam B&R server properly. Try to use long name or IP address instead of the short name when adding host to the protection group.
marcinK3
Service Provider

Post by marcinK3 »

I tried over IP with no results.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Can you check the specified credentials are correct? Try to access this computer from backup server (using admin share). If that works – please submit support case and share the case ID. Thanks.
marcinK3
Service Provider

Post by marcinK3 »

Admin share works fine. It is not released to credentials. It is network/DNS problem.
pineco
Lurker
Full Name: Masaaki Matsuoka

Post by pineco » 1 person likes this post

I faced this problem too.
Try localhost/Administrator as account.
It worked.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

pineco,

Thanks! It's true - account should be local administrator in order to deploy backup agent. It’s also possible to use localhost\localadmin account in case of non-domain environments.
Dmitry1
Novice

[MERGED] Deploying of agen to local host fails

Post by Dmitry1 »

Hi,
Using Update 3. Trying to deploy Windows Agent remotely.
Getting error "The network path was not found" (ERROR_BAD_NETPATH). This happens even if I'm trying to deploy the agent on the localhost or 127.0.0.1
Any suggestions?
Dmitry1
Novice

Re: [MERGED] Deploying of agen to local host fails

Post by Dmitry1 »

Update: admin share works fine.
Dmitry1
Novice

Post by Dmitry1 »

Ok, I got it. You should have a user in the form localmachine/localuser form. I had it in "localuser" form. The local user should be in Administrators group.
Stupid mistake. Would be possible to catch that error by B&R ?
Rettep91
Novice
Full Name: Petter Roness Madshus

Post by Rettep91 »

Hi,

I have somewhat similar problem. I made a test group which i added a computer to, which worked perfectly. So i tought i would test out the AD integration functionality next. I made a group and uninstalled agent from the previous group. However, before i removed the computer from the previous group i did a rescan, which the reinstalled the agent in that group. I cancelled that midway and removed the computer from the group. The problem is that when i then tried to add that computer to the new group i got the error: "Error Unable to install backup agent: cannot connect to <Computer Name> Error: Known agent <IP-Address> have the same bios uuid <BIOS UUID> but different connection point <Computer Name>."
I realize now that it might have been stupid to cancel the rescan midway.. And whenever i try to add this computer to any group i get the same message.
Is there any way i can fix this?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Dmitry1 wrote:Would be possible to catch that error by B&R ?
Sometimes this does not work quite well: Windows may report connection error if credentials are specified incorrectly
Rettep91 wrote:And whenever i try to add this computer to any group i get the same message.
Is there any way i can fix this?
Try to edit existing protection group and remove the host from computers table (another option might be to right click the host and hit uninstall). Then try to rescan the Active Directory protection group again.
Anguel
Expert
Liked: 18 times

Post by Anguel »

Rettep91 wrote:The problem is that when i then tried to add that computer to the new group i got the error: "Error Unable to install backup agent: cannot connect to <Computer Name> Error: Known agent <IP-Address> have the same bios uuid <BIOS UUID> but different connection point <Computer Name>."
I had the same problem after having moved an old PC to new hardware and having renamed it, the old computer name even appeared twice under "Unmanaged" so I was not able to add the new PC name to any group because of the error above.
The only solution I found was to move both old unexisting PC names to new groups and then delete those groups. Then I could finally create a new group with the new PC name.

Hope this helps.

Anguel
StingerTW
Novice
Full Name: Daniel Köhnen

Post by StingerTW »

Hey,
you wrote:
The only solution I found was to move both old unexisting PC names to new groups and then delete those groups. Then I could finally create a new group with the new PC name.

Can you explain this?? what groups?

I have the same problem.

thanks fpr any help.
regards
daniel
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Daniel,

To workaround is to right click computer in Unmanaged Protection Group and move it to any custom Protection Group. Once done, remove the custom protection group from UI. Thanks!