Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
dmaunder
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Daryl Maunder

Replicate repository to USB drive

Post by dmaunder »

Hi,

I have a customer that wants (sensibly) to have an offline copy of the repository at all times. If we have a pair of USB drives that we swap each day or week, is it just a matter of stopping the Veeam services and doing a robocopy or similar? And a restore just means to do the reverse to put it back in the repository?
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 681 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Re: Replicate repository to USB drive

Post by Polina »

Hi Daryl,

I'd not suggest using this approach on a regular basis (i.e. for your daily backups), as you can easily end up with a corrupted database if anything goes wrong.
For maintaining offline copies, it'd be the best to back up your VBO repository with Veeam Backup & Replication as it will preserve data consistency and allow for application-item restores.
tommy.lidal
Influencer
Full Name: Tommy Lidal

Post by tommy.lidal »

I do take a backup of my VBO server ( it's physical server) to my datadomain using Veeam klient for windows, should be the same for backup to USB drives i gues .
dmaunder
Influencer
Full Name: Daryl Maunder

Post by dmaunder »

Polina wrote: Dec 04, 2018 10:32 am Hi Daryl,

I'd not suggest using this approach on a regular basis (i.e. for your daily backups), as you can easily end up with a corrupted database if anything goes wrong.
For maintaining offline copies, it'd be the best to back up your VBO repository with Veeam Backup & Replication as it will preserve data consistency and allow for application-item restores.
Hi Pollina,

But if the customer is running Veeam Backup for Office 365 on a subscription basis, does that license them to run Veeam Backup and Replication in the manner you describe? Would doing what I suggested not be supported? I thought it would be pretty foolproof.
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 681 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Post by Polina »

Hi Daryl,

VBR requires its own license, so the described way will fit those who already protect their environment with Veeam (I assumed it might be your customer's case). Switching between the two USB drives can work, but you need to be very accurate in stopping and starting the services to avoid the database corruption.

As Tommy suggested, you can also use Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows (even the free version) to back up the VBO repository. O365 items restore will take 2 steps: 1) recover the database from a VAW backup 2) mount it to the required Veeam Explorer.

Hope this helps