Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
tomas.olsen
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Tomas Olsen

Veeam Backup to Datadomain NFS share

Post by tomas.olsen »

I'm currently doing backup of 50'ish increasing vm's to a DD610. Total VMFS size is about 4 TB.

What is best practice when doing backups to a D-dupe boks when it comes to using compression, inline de-dupe, CBT and so on. What about the advanced features?
At the moment I am using no compression, no dedupe and with CBT enabled.
But I see that the speed is very variable. The difference between let's say two domain controllers can be over 100mbyte/s.
A few servers experience speed at 300 mbyte/s, while others only gets about 30 mbyte/s.

Best regards,
Tomas
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Veeam Backup to Datadomain NFS share

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Tomas,

All I know about DD is that CIFS performance is not that good, so you made a right choice by mounting NFS share to Linux box and using it as a backup target. While compression is generally a good thing for backups, I'm afraid it might have a negative impact on the overall job performance with DD. In addition to this, I recommend using forward incremental backup mode, this should also speed the things up. Besides I've heard that choosing 256kb dedupe block size (WAN target) should also help here.

Here is an existing discussion of best practices while using Dedupe Appliances, please have a look: Veeam & Deduplication Appliances

As for the the variable per VM performances then it is expected. Please look through this topic for more info: Very different backup speed on VM's

Thank you!