Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Buzzard
Novice
Liked: never

Slow Processing Rate on Replication

Post by Buzzard »

I am doing some replication over our 1Gb LAN to an ESX 4.1 host that has local storage. I am running network mode for the replications. My processing rate is consistantly running at 2 MB/s. The Veeam B&R server is a VM running 2 Cores and 3GB memory (2008 Std). Any suggestions on what all I can check to see why the processing rate is so slow?

Many Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Slow Processing Rate on Replication

Post by Gostev »

Check your network, usually this happens when some port or switch failovers to 100Mb.
I am assuming you have service console connection settings supplied for source and target hosts.
Buzzard
Novice

Post by Buzzard »

Not sure what you mean by your last sentence "I am assuming you have service console connection settings supplied for source and target hosts."

Can you elaborate?

Oh and thanks for the quick reply!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

I can 8)

Take a look at these topics: Service Console Connections and SSH Connection Settings
Buzzard
Novice

Post by Buzzard »

Thanks Vitality. The answer is Yes, I have service console connection settings.

I don't THINK my network is a problem. The Service console is set to 100Mb but the VM Network is 1Gb. Looking at network statistics, I am only utilizing between 2-5% of the available bandwidth.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

By the way, could you please tell me if you see 2 MB/s on a full run or incremental pass with CBT enabled? Also have you considered using Virtual Appliance mode, that should give you better performance in reading source VM data.
Buzzard
Novice

Post by Buzzard »

2 MB/s is on a full run. I attempted Virtual Appliance mode, but the host I am replicating from exisits on a different cluster/subnet/SAN than the Veeam B&R server, it won't work :(

I ended up cancelling by replication job after 36 hours for 7 VM's. Will attempt my first call with Veeam support and see if they can point me in a direction. Will keep it posted.

Thanks for the replies!
sean.smith
Lurker
Full Name: Sean Smith

Post by sean.smith »

Hello,

I am experiencing the exact same symptoms. I suspect that the replication speed is going to be quite limited when replicating to local storage at a DR site. I would be interested too know if you had a resolution.

Regards

Sean
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Sean,

Processing rates heavily depend on your job setup and replication target (ESXi or ESX). Please search these forums for common recommendations and troubleshooting steps that should be performed for your deployment.

Thank you.