Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
rkimball
Novice
Liked: never

How do I find the install date of an update?

Post by rkimball »

In reading today's Veeam Community Forums Digest for [Nov 26 - Dec 2, 2018] I am trying to find the install date our last update to determine when 11 months will be up.

We are on version 9.5.0.1038 Backup & Replication.

How will I find this?

Thanks.
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: How do I find the install date of an update?

Post by wishr »

Hi Rkimball,

Welcome to Veeam Community Forums!

It's easier to check the certificate itself rather than digging into the logs or exploring installation folders dates. The procedure is down below.

1. Open Veeam B&R, Main Menu, General Options;
2. Switch to the "Security" tab;
3. Click on the Certificate link starting with CN=...;
4. Check "Valid to" field.;

P.S. The same could be done using certmgr.msc, but please be careful checking a proper certificate under "Trusted Root Certification Authorities" - "Certificates".

If it is about to expire soon, simply follow that procedure.

Cheers!
rkimball
Novice

Post by rkimball »

Thank you for the reply.

Opening the General Options produces a window with options, however I am not seeing a security tab. I see only these tabs:
I/O Control -|- E-mail Settings -|- SNMP Settings -|- Notifications -|- History

Same thing happened before I posted as I tried to find that Security tab from Gostev's email.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2722 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

As far as I see you're still running Veeam B&R 9.5 Update 2, which didn't have an agent management feature that's why you don't have this option available.
Gostev wrote:This certificate is set to expire in 1 year from its creation date, and due to some bugs you will see artifacts of its expiration 1 year after your Update 3 installation date.
rkimball
Novice

Post by rkimball »

Thank you. That means that as long as we do not update to Update 3 we will not see our backups quit? And when we do it will be 11 months from that install date I am assuming.
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

Hi Rkimball,

Correct, the previous versions are not affected by this issue.

Btw, could you please let us know why do you still on the previous version? Definitely recommend updating since each new update brings new features, improvements and so on.

Thanks
rkimball
Novice

Post by rkimball »

We do not update because it works just fine for what we need it to do. I am old school and have been burned many times over by Microsoft updates going horribly wrong, so why take chances? We will consider upgrading after a minimum of a month goes by unless it is indicated that some form of bug or security risk could put our data at risk. And then as you can probably guess it is on the back burner and there is always at least 10 aging tickets to work on that always seem more important. Then we forget until we see an email from Veeam/Gostev :)
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

Hi Rkimball,

Absolutely understand your concern, but you are missing about 1 year of updates.

B&R9.5 Update 3a was released in July 2018, and before that, there was another one released - Update3 - please refer to the "B&R ALL versions" thread above in Vitaliy's post. Currently, we are about to release another new version, so please stay tuned for updates - there are lots of new long-awaited functionality and improvements, so definitely recommend trying it out!

BR,
Fedor