Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
Skeeter395
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Scott Giesbrecht

Failed to create snapshot HP 3PAR VSS Provider on Hyper-V Off-Host

Post by Skeeter395 »

Hello All,

I'm having a bit of an issue here and I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I have a Hyper-v cluster with multiple CSV's provided by a 3par array. I have been doing backups from this cluster with no issues for a few months now. We have purchased some new 3par and I have added a new CSV from the new storage to my cluster. I have moved some VM's to this new storage and now my backups are having issues creating snapshots. The error I am getting is the following:

"Failed to create snapshot HP 3PAR VSS Provider on Hyper-V Off-Host Backup Proxy (mode: Crash consistent) Details: Failed to add volume [\\?\Volume{b5ae43ac-ef91-4843-9953-121b13886546}\] to the VSS snapshot set The shadow copy provider had an error. Check the System and Application event logs for more information. --tr:Failed to add volumes to the snapshot set. --tr:Failed to perform pre-backup tasks.
Retrying snapshot creation attempt (Failed to add volume [\\?\Volume{b5ae43ac-ef91-4843-9953-121b13886546}\] to the VSS snapshot set The shadow copy provider had an error. Check the System and Application event logs for more information. --tr:Failed to add volumes to the snapshot set. --tr:Failed to perform pre-backup tasks.)"

I have edited my Hyper-v Off-Host backup Proxy to include my new csv and connected to my new array via the cli on all my hosts and my backup server.

If I move the vm storage back to the original CSV the backup succeeded correctly, so I am sure it is something I am missing with the Veeam config.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott
Skeeter395
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Scott Giesbrecht

Re: Failed to create snapshot HP 3PAR VSS Provider on Hyper-V Off-Host

Post by Skeeter395 » 1 person likes this post

I have figure out my issue. I had to re-run the VSS provider install and reference the new array. This has solved the issues.