Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
avindyurin
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Anton Vindyurin

[CentOS 6] Could I Perform Full Machine Backup to External USB Drive?

Post by avindyurin »

Dear Sirs,

I am trying to evaluate Veeam Agent for Linux. We need to perform full backup of a CentOS machine to external USB drive. Unfortunately, if I mount USB drive and try to perform such a backup, I have got an I/O error. It looks like agent is trying to backup mounted device too. What should I do to successfully complete my backup job? Thank you very much for any help you could provide.
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: [CentOS 6] Could I Perform Full Machine Backup to External USB Drive?

Post by wishr »

Hi Anton,

Welcome to Veeeam Community Forums!

Could you specify what errors you are getting, please? Also, is the CentOS Kernel version compliant with the VAL requirements?

Thanks
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Post by PTide »

Hi,
It looks like agent is trying to backup mounted device too.
The agent should not do that as it skips USB devices automatically. Regarding I/O error - I would try other USB ports first and attach the drive directly in case it is connected via USB hub. Anyway, it would be good to see the actual error text.

Thanks!
avindyurin
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Anton Vindyurin

Post by avindyurin »

Hi,

the CentOS Kernel version is compliant with the VAL requirements: CentOS release 6.10 (Final) 2.6.32-696.20.1.el6.x86_64. I use the following hardware: HP ProLiant DL120 G6 physical server with SAS 10k drives,an Intel PCI SSD drive, and with a couple of directly connected external USB Seagate drives (that are intended for backups). I have just installed required "syslinux" package because it has not been and now making another attemp to backup that machine.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Post by PTide »

Although "syslinux" packages is also required if you want to patch standard Recovery ISO, it won't help much with the IO error. So, would you give the exact error text, please?

Thanks!