Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
kayvonp@re-wa.org
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: KTHP

Upgrade with B&R Update?

Post by kayvonp@re-wa.org »

I am looking to update Veeam to B&R Update 3a. Will this also require an update of our Agent installations? If so, will the old agent continue to work? And can we phase the update or does it happen automatically?
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: Upgrade with B&R Update?

Post by wishr »

Hi KTHP,

What B&R version you are planning to upgrade? Are your Agents being managed by B&R server?

In general, it's always recommended to keep all the Agents updated (the same applies to B&R itself) - Agent management functionality receives a lot of improvements with each B&R update. B&R allows you to set up various settings for Agent updates, so you can force the process to be automated.

BR,
Fedor
kayvonp@re-wa.org
Influencer

We are on B&R 9.5 U3. Looking at going to U3a so we can upgrade VMware. Our agents are managed by the server. I don't mind upgrading the agents, but we have many 6 or 7 locations and I would prefer to do it over a few days. Doing them all at once wouldn't be a great idea. If I upgrade to 3a today and then don't upgrade an Agent until Friday, will the backups for that agent fail in the mean time?
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

In this case you safe to update B&R. Depending on the aforementioned settings you may do this manually, or let the B&R server perform the upgrade automatically. In any case, the previous Agents should keep working as intended.

Thanks
kayvonp@re-wa.org
Influencer

Post by kayvonp@re-wa.org » 1 person likes this post

Great news. Thank you!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi KTHP,

Please keep in mind that if your managed agent installations are running together with CBT driver, source machines will require reboot after update. Agent jobs may stuck in 'waiting for reboot' state unless source machine is reboot, so please plan the update window carefully. You can disable the automatic update option on the protection group level and force agent update manually when you are ready. Hope it helps!
kayvonp@re-wa.org
Influencer

Thanks. I am using that driver most places.