Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
ITK
Novice
Liked: never

Multiple restore points on one tape

Post by ITK »

Hi,

I'm using Veeam B&R to backup multiple files to tape (multiple "file to tape" jobs).
Currently there is only one restore point / backup set per tape.
Is there any way, how multiple restore points could be saved on one tape?

Thanks for your help.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Multiple restore points on one tape

Post by Dima P. »

Hello ITK.

These jobs are set to backup to the same media pool? How the target media pool is configured (specifically media set creation option in the Media Pool properties)? Thanks!
ITK
Novice

Post by ITK »

Hi Dima,
yes all backup jobs are set to backup to the same media pool.
The target media pool is currently configured to create a new backup set, but was previously configured to always use the same. As far as I have seen, there was no difference in restore points on tape.

I would be glad, if you could point me into the right direction.

Thanks.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

You need to set "always continuing one media set" option, this should allow you to place multiple backup sets on one tape. With "Creating a new media set for each backup session" backup server will use a separate tape for each tape job session.

If you're using "always continuing one media set" option and still experiencing the said issue, kindly, reach our support team.

Also, I assume there are no export options specified (that might prevent backup server from using the same tape)?

Thank!
ITK
Novice

Post by ITK »

I think the problem is, although I set it to always use the same media set, it still always creates a new media set for every backup session.
Is there any configuration that may cause this behaviour?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Unless you're exporting tapes after each backup cycle, the said setting (always continuing current media set) should work without any issues.

Might be worth reaching our support team to get additional clarification.

Thanks!
ITK
Novice

Post by ITK »

Okay if I understand this right, this mean that if a tape is exported from the tape drive and inserted after at a later point, a new media set is created?
Because currently we have only one tape drive with only one slot and one tape for each day of the week that is inserted at the specific day.
Is there any way that media sets can still be reused?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

this mean that if a tape is exported from the tape drive and inserted after at a later point, a new media set is created
Old media set gets closed and new is opened only when tape job with this media pool as a target kicks in and does not find the old tape in drive (or library).
ITK
Novice

Post by ITK »

Okay so in this case using the media pool for 5 drives that are exchanged each day of the week will create a new media set every day?
Is there any way to reuse the media set in that case or would I have to create a media pool for each day?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

ITK,
his case using the media pool for 5 drives that are exchanged each day of the week will create a new media set every day
It's possible to create a separate media pool per drive and split the daily backups between these media pools. Will such approach work for you?
ITK
Novice

Post by ITK »

This would be possible.
Is there any other way to reuse media sets or is this the only option?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

If you want to keep the daily backups on different tape media - that's the only solution.

Another option would be to keep all tapes within one media pool that and keep one single media set for all your daily backups. With such approach you will lose the granularity (i.e. single tape per day) but you will get the maximum efficiency on tape space consumption.