Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
staun
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Jørgen Staun

Move Veeam data to a new server

Post by staun »

Just got me a new SuperMicro server with quite a lot of storage. So.. I need to move our current backup to the new Veeam Backup/ storage-server. I know the migrate configuration procedure, but what about the current backup-files. We have about 50 TB data that needs to be moved.... - best way to do this?? - any suggestions other that filecopy or FTP and follow this procedure (https://www.veeam.com/kb1729) - I know this works as I have done this a couple of times, but not with 50 TB.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Move Veeam data to a new server

Post by foggy »

Hi Jørgen, any chance you could do this gradually, job by job?
staun
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Jørgen Staun

Post by staun »

Hi Foggy,

Already did this for a few jobs, but I have one job with almost 30 TB, so it does not give much difference. - A copy will take days and I don't know if I can start the job on the new server without the current backup files, so I am a bit caught right now as I do not have a running backup.

I could go for a new backup-chain with the same job-settings and then - if needed restore from a imported backup.. But if there were a better solution, I would prefer that.

perhaps I could just copy the latest full backup-chain and then start the jobs again and in parallel copy the files into the repository - when done do a rescan of the repository.?? - not sure about this part.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

This might work - copying the latest part of the chain (full + subsequent increments) along with VBM file and mapping the job to it will allow to continue backing up normally, while
copying the rest of the chain. Those restore points that are not yet copied will be displayed in Veeam B&R console as the missing ones, however, should be picked up by rescan when appear in the new location. I'm not sure how those that fall out of retention will be treated, but chances are they will just be removed from configuration normally.