Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mephisto
Expert
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Mephisto poa

VTL backup, what license is needed? Is there a better alternative to VTL

Post by mephisto »

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a offsite long term storage and VTL so far seems to do what I need with AWS Glacier. I'm just wondering if VTL is indeed the best way forward for this as it seems to be just an abstraction layer to pretend it is tape, when it is not. Would it rather be simpler to use a backup copy job with a long retention to AWS? I'm just trying to understand if actually it makes any sense to use VTL over a simple backup copy job. What are the real benefits?

Also, would I need enterprise license for VTL as I think just writing VBK to tapes without keeping tracking of them may be unmanageable?

Thanks!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: VTL backup, what license is needed? Is there a better alternative to VTL

Post by Dima P. »

Hello mephisto.
if VTL is indeed the best way forward for this
I'd say it's a valid solution for existing version.
would I need enterprise license for VTL as I think just writing VBK to tapes without keeping tracking of them may be unmanageable?
The best way would be to use backup to tape jobs (as with virtual full to tape it eliminates the need of transform operations in forever forward incremental backup chains) and it is available in Enterprise edition.
mephisto
Expert
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Mephisto poa

Post by mephisto »

as a service provider, can I offer a mix of standard and enterprise licenses on the same Veeam server that I use for these backups or would I need 2 different license agreements and 2 different servers?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

You cannot mix two different editions within the same backup server, so a separate sever will be needed in this case. Thanks!