Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
tthomas1@ebsco.com
Expert
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Tim Thomas

Veeam Enterprise Manager + Windows Agent

Post by tthomas1@ebsco.com »

First some background: we have recently deployed our first Veeam product, a Veeam Windows Agent on a physical server at one of our small remote offices. I also installed Veeam Backup & Replication on a VM at the same location, and use it to manage the backups and agent license. I was informed that adding the Windows Agent license in B&R unlocks functionality for managing agent backups, and I have found that to be accurate. Our intent is to transition all of our CloudBerry backups to Veeam in the second half of 2019, so this is somewhat of a proof-of-concept.

Now to my question. I am not clear if Veeam Enterprise Manager works the same way as Veeam Backup & Replication as far as licensing. In other words, if I were to install VEM at our primary headquarters (without adding a license during install) and connect to Veeam B&R at the remote site, would it recognize the Windows Agent license and unlock functionality in VEM? Or, if I remove the license from Veeam B&R and add it to VEM, would that unlock VEM functionality? In this latter case, would Veeam B&R features remain unlocked? Just to clarify, the only Veeam license I have right now is the single Windows Agent license.

I'm aware we don't technically need VEM right now, but if I can add it to our infrastructure at this time I would like to so I can get familiar with it in advance of deploying Veeam products on a larger scale. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Veeam Enterprise Manager + Windows Agent

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Tim,
if I were to install VEM at our primary headquarters (without adding a license during install) and connect to Veeam B&R at the remote site, would it recognize the Windows Agent license and unlock functionality in VEM?
EM distributes licenses across all connected Veeam B&R servers. You need to load agent license to EM and then it should be uploaded to every connected Veeam B&R server.
I remove the license from Veeam B&R and add it to VEM, would that unlock VEM functionality? In this latter case, would Veeam B&R features remain unlocked?
EM requires Veeam B&R license, so there is no way to use it with agent license only. Thanks!
tthomas1@ebsco.com
Expert
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Tim Thomas

Re: Veeam Enterprise Manager + Windows Agent

Post by tthomas1@ebsco.com »

Thank you Dima! So I can't use it now, but if we get a B&R license in the future I could. At that time, I would need to transfer any licenses I've installed in B&R to VEM. Thanks for the help!