Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
ned
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Ned Thomas

Storage integration issue with EMC VNX NFS datastores

Post by ned »

VB&R 9.5.3a - Windows 2012r2 backup proxy (VM)
VMware vSphere ESXi 6.0.0 7967664
EMC VNX5300 NFS (file code 7.1.80.7)

Veeam support case # 03247725. Case opened on 11/18/2018. Working with L2 support but no progress.

I enabled storage integration with our EMC VNX5300. The NFS datastores are discovered and listed. I can create snapshots for the listed datastores using Veeam, but the snapshot display shows "VM COUNT" equal to 0. VMs (.vmx) do reside and run on these NFS datastores. No errors reported on snap create, delete, rescans. Snapshots show up in EMC Unisphere. A backup job with primary storage integration / enable backup from storage snapshots checked (failover cleared) runs successfully, but does not use storage snapshots (no errors reported). No issues getting good backups with Veeam, but trying to leverage Veeam storage integration. Veeam and EMC sides are properly licensed.

Is anyone successfully using Veeam storage integration with a VNX gen1 (not VNXe) like a VNX model 5300, 5500, 5700, 7500 -- and NFS datastores? Please let me know.

Thanks, Ned
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Storage integration issue with EMC VNX NFS datastores

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Hi Ned,

we developed the original integration on a VNC5300 if I remember right and have a lot of users for the plugin. I am not aware about reports that the plugin stopped at a sepcific file code version, so from this side it should be fine.

Support reported that we have issues accessing the share from the Veeam proxy server. These server do rescan of the snapshots and detect the VMs on it. As well they perform Backup from Storage Snapshot. Usually Veeam adds the Proxy Server to the export definition where you can allow on storage side the access to the file share. Support asked you to add the Veeam Proxy Server manuall to this access list. This would allow us to scan the volumes.

Usually this manual step is not needed but sometimes the structure and configuration (user configuration) of the export definition is not compatible with our automation. Can you please check the export configuration?
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

https://www.emc.com/collateral/Technica ... u48461.pdf
...is maybe outdated but if you search for Export you will get an idea of the configuration needed for it.
ned
Enthusiast

Post by ned »

The Veeam backup proxy server (Windows 2012r2 VM) is already in the NFS datastore volume export access list, along with the ESXi 6.0 servers. No change there.
ned
Enthusiast

Post by ned »

How can I manually test this with the Windows 2012r2 Veeam Backup Proxy (VM)?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Ned, as far as I know, you've been asked to provide extended logs, let's see what our engineers could take out of them.
ned
Enthusiast

Post by ned »

The registry key (VNXAPILogDetails) was already set a while back. Log bundles have been generated and uploaded several times.

VNXAPILogDetails

Type: REG_DWORD
Value: 1
Path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Backup and Replication\
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

The issue here lies in the fact that the list of hosts having access to NFS datastore contains DNS names that Veeam B&R is not able to parse (only IP addresses are accepted currently). We are discussing the ability to address this in the upcoming U4, but no commitments at the moment.
ned
Enthusiast

Post by ned »

The NFS volume access list has *both* the hostnames and the IPs. The actual list is in the case notes.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Yes, that was the issue - Veeam B&R is not able to parse hostnames and just fails to parse the entire list if at least one hostname is there. The good news is that this will be addressed in U4.
ned
Enthusiast

Post by ned » 1 person likes this post

I upgraded to 9.5.4 and I can confirm that the issue has been resolved. Thanks Ned
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Ned, thank you for coming back to confirm the solution for future readers, much appreciated.