Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
JasonPGTF
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Jason Oon

Backing up SQL databases only

Post by JasonPGTF »

Hi, are Veeam capable of performing only SQL database backups instead of taking the entire server snapshots?
I'm in the midst of comparing 2 backups solutions to decide if I should move my SQL database from current backup solution to Veeam. This questions actually applies to both physical & VM servers.

Currently I notice that Veeam usually did a backup of the whole VM snapshot image which means the size of the backups are relatively large as it includes the OS as well as the application SQL database. Is it possible for Veeam to purely do a backup of the SQL database only? My current backup solution is running backups purely for SQL application thus the backup & restore timing is faster as it focus only on the application.
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Backing up SQL databases only

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Jason,

You cannot back up only SQL application, as Veeam B&R is image-level backup solution.
However, you should keep in mind that Veeam B&R provides you ability to select even a specific transaction to restore the database up to and also allows the restore of a particular database schema objects and tables data. Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Hi Jason, you can achieve what you want with the help of Veeam Agent for Windows.
RubinCompServ
Service Provider
Liked: 65 times
Full Name: David Rubin

Post by RubinCompServ »

foggy,

Based on that article, it looks like it's just using the SQL Processing component of the Agent to backup up the SQL logs. How is that any different from just configuring that same setting within a regular backup job within VBR?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Veeam B&R will perform an image-level backup of the entire VM, while Veeam Agent for Windows allows you to perform file-level backup of the database files with transaction logs backup.
RubinCompServ
Service Provider

Post by RubinCompServ »

I'm sorry, I still don't understand. All of the settings listed in Step #7 of your article are also available in VBR, and seem to do the same thing.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

David,

Foggy was referring to Veeam Agent's ability to process databases as files via file level backup mode without taking the entire machine backup. With VM backup there is no way to process only database files, so you must backup entire VM. Makes sense?
RubinCompServ
Service Provider

Post by RubinCompServ »

Dima,
Now I get it. Thanks!
hightech
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Cihan Tayiz

[MERGED] SQL Database backup

Post by hightech »

Hello,

is it possible to backup only a SQL database ?
I would like to backup a SQL database without the whole virtual maschine every 4 hours.
At the moment it is the case that the whole machine will backup.

Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Hi Cihan, yes, this is possible with Veeam Agent for Windows. Please see above. Thanks!
bhagen
Expert
Liked: 29 times

Post by bhagen »

I realize this is an old post, but I have a follow-up question.

Can I do *both* a "virtual machine" backup AND a "Windows computer" backup on the same virtual machine? (Veeam v10)

We have a main SQL DB server (vmware VM) with 15 DBs, and currently we're doing a nightly forever-forward backup with 30 restore points. We're adding a couple new DBs that need a larger set of restore points (90 days).

So can I install the windows agent on this machine, continue to do "regular" nightly backups, but additionally create an agent backup for just those 2 DBs?
RubinCompServ
Service Provider

Post by RubinCompServ »

I'm pretty sure the answer is yes, but I think you can do the same thing from Veeam natively by configuring SQL backups (https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=100)