Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
nlaurino
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Nick Laurino

Grouping individual vm's into a single backup job

Post by nlaurino »

We currently have several VM's being backed up in individual jobs, and would like to move them into new jobs, with multiple VM's. We are using the same repository for the new jobs, so my question is, do we need to do anything to the current backup files, or will the new jobs still utilize those files?

Ex. I have individual backup jobs for VM1, VM2, and VM3, I want to create a new job, VM Backup, that includes VM1, VM2, and VM3.

The current backup files are located in the repository, in individual folders for each machine. If I create a new job, I believe it will create a new folder, and sub-folders in it for each machine.

We would like to keep the existing files to prevent having to do full backups of each machine, and so we can maintain our restore points already created.

The second part is, we want to start replicating our VM's to an offsite DataCenter, and believe t would be much faster and less intrusive during production hours, if we could replicate these VM's using the backup files instead of the actual VM. We can then setup the replication jobs, to start after each backup job, so our replica's will be within our RPO, should we need to failover in the event of a disaster.

Does this even sound rational?

Thanks
Nick Laurino
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Grouping individual vm's into a single backup job

Post by foggy »

Hi Nock, unfortunately, you can map the new job just to a backup chain from a single existing job, so VMs from other jobs will be fully backed up during the first job run after mapping.

As for your second question, take a look at replication from backup functionality, looks like exactly what you're after.
nlaurino
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Nick Laurino

Re: Grouping individual vm's into a single backup job

Post by nlaurino »

I appreciate the response and was afraid of that. The problem I have is we do not have sufficient space on our repository, to do another complete backup of the VM's, while leaving the existing backup files in place.

As for the other, I will look at the documentation.

Thanks,
Nick Laurino