Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
digitlman
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

CPU Usage jump

Post by digitlman »

We just purchased Enterprise, and I just installed the Enterprise manager. Now, in running a full backup job, the VeeamAgent.exe is taking 65-70% of the CPU. I don't seem to recall it using that much before, when only B&R was installed.

Is this due to indexing by Manager? I do not have MS Search or Veeam Search installed yet.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6699 times

Re: CPU Usage jump

Post by Gostev »

No, Enterprise Manager does not do indexing. And generally speaking it uses little to no CPU cycles. Also, VeeamAgent.exe has nothing to deal with the Enterprise Manager installation. It's perfectly normal for VeeamAgent.exe to load multi-core CPU to 100%, we are talking about on-the-fly dedupe and compression of a lot of data (50-100MB/s). May be you just did not notice this before, or changed something else in the environment which made your backups work much faster, increasing the amount of data our engine needs to process each second, which in turn increased CPU usage. Thanks.
digitlman
Enthusiast

Post by digitlman »

OK. I won't worry about it then.

Will installing MS Search and/or Veeam Search add to the usage?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Oh yes, this one will, no doubt.
digitlman
Enthusiast

Post by digitlman »

Is it possible to install Search Server on a different machine than Veeam is installed upon?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Absolutely.
digitlman
Enthusiast

Post by digitlman »

OK. How does one then point the Veeam Search to that server when installing Veeam Search?

Or, can I install Veeam Search on a different machine than the rest of the Veeam software is installed upon (and the same that the MS Search is on)?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Veeam Search must be installed on the computer with Microsoft Search Server. What you call "Veeam Search" is essentially a set of Microsoft Search Server integration components, so they definitely need to be installed there and not anywhere else. You may want to review the installation procedure for this component in the Release Notes document. Thanks.
digitlman
Enthusiast

Post by digitlman »

OK, I got that up and running.

However, in my lab vm which is going to be my file server, when I enable indexing and run the job I get:

Indexing guest file system
VSSControl: Index failed

Error: Cannot read MFT record.
Win32 error:The system cannot find the file specified.
Code: 2

Now, I do have Backup Exec agent installed on this vm. Is that causing the problem?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Don't think so. Please contact your technical team for assistance with your issue.