Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
lwarner
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Leigh Warner

File Level Restore performance at second site

Post by lwarner »

We have Site1 with Veeam B&R server, proxy, repository. We have Site2 with proxy and repository. Sites are connected with 100 Mbps fiber.

When I do a FLR to a Windows server at Site2, I get really bad performance - typically a few hundred KB/s.

For example I had to restore a folder with about 6000 files, total size 40GB. Estimated time using FLR was over 20 hours. I made a SureBackup job and copied the files to a temporary VMDK in under 30 minutes.

So I checked the CPU and disk activity on the proxy/repository at Site2 and confirmed that the correct components are being used. But when I look at C:\VeeamFLR on Site2 proxy, it is empty. I see that the volume is being mounted at Site1 - in the C:\VeeamFLR of the B&R management server. This is obviously the reason for the slow FLR.

Is there a way to make the data mount at Site2?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: File Level Restore performance at second site

Post by foggy »

Hi Leigh, could you please open your Site2 repository and look at the mount server setting? You're correct that for the backup to be mounted locally at Site2, mount server should be located there. For some reason backup server is being selected as mount server during restore. What type of repository it is? Basically, you can assign the role of a mount server to any Windows server in Site2 when creating/editing backup repository.