Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
aaran.stent
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Aaran Stent

Import a backup (to the same name)

Post by aaran.stent »

Hello,

In the User guide for Veeam B&R 5.0.1 http://www.veeam.com/files/guide/veeam_ ... _guide.pdf on page 106 it states...

"You can also import a backup that was deleted from the list of backups (to display the list, click the Backups node under Backup in the management tree). In this case, the backup will be imported under its original name."

I am unclear how to follow this instruction. I accidentally removed a backup and want to import it so I can keep the backup job writing to this location and show all backups and restore points under one entry in the backups list. If I perform the step quoted above I can I assume the backup job will append to this backup?

Please help me to perform the instruction on page 106.

Regards,

Aaran
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Import a backup (to the same name)

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Aaran,

Importing backup files back to the console doesn't tie up them to the backup jobs. This happens because file removals also remove corresponding records from the configuration SQL database.

You can only perform any operation with imported backup files (all types of restores, SureBackup etc.). This functionality was designed to allow importing backups from tape, external storage, in remote site where you WAN sync your backups, etc. However, backup import was never designed to tie the backup files back to its job.

Thank you.
rejected2008
Novice
Full Name: hjjh

Post by rejected2008 »

hi,

I dont understand the instruction in the user guide either. its clearly says that you can import an (accidentally) removed backup vom the backup list. but this didnt worked for me, the veeam console appends "_imported" to the backup and the backup job cannot append to this backup (it creates a new one, without "_imported" appended).

Is the user guide incorrect?

greets
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Post by Gostev »

Hi, yes - the user guide is correct. Not sure what do you find incorrect in this description? And why are you saying import backup "did not work" for you if backups did in fact appear in the Veeam console? Thanks.
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

You can import a "backup", you cannot import a "backup job". An imported backup is not associated with a backup job and can only be used for restores, not for further backups.
rejected2008
Novice
Full Name: hjjh

Post by rejected2008 »

Thanks for your answers. I try to explain what is unclear and didnt work for me.

On Page 107 user guide 5.0.2 says:
You can also import a backup that was deleted from the list of backups (to display the list, click
the Backups node under Backup in the management tree). In this case, the backup will be
imported under its original name.
Ok, now i try to import the backup under its original name (that mean without appending "_imported") with following steps:
- remove the backup from the backup list
- import the backup with the "import backup" button again
==> the backup import as is works, but it will show up as "<backupjob_name>_imported". thats not the original name.

Can you explain my misunderstanding?

Thanks and greets
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Post by Gostev »

Now its clear. "Under its original name" remark is not entirely correct and can be confusing I guess. While the original name of backup will be preserved indeed, the _imported suffix will be added still. Thanks.