Host-based backup of Nutanix AHV VMs.
Luca82
Expert
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: lo

some quentions about veeam on ahv

Post by Luca82 »

Hi everyone... I have some questions for you
- since, as far as I know, I can have only one proxy appliance per cluster, I wondering if it makes sense to move the proxy appliance in proximity of the vm to backup in order to take the advantage of the data locality?
- I read somewhere that it is possible to backup the vm throught hot add functionality and throught the use of whitelist: in this manner the proxy appliance mounts the ahv container in nfs. The question is... which method is better: hot add or nfs? Is there any documentation about that?
- why veeam gives the windows/linux agents for the ahv vm? Does the agent work instead of the vss?
ericschott
Product Manager
Liked: 92 times
Full Name: Eric Schott

Re: some quentions about veeam on ahv

Post by ericschott » 1 person likes this post

A running VM still may have data on several nodes, so there is not a method to reliably know "what is better". AHV also balances storage for capacity.

The proxy does mount the snapshot, and this is the recommended method by NTNX.

We provide agents for customers that require Veeam level guest operations. Today AHV's VSS writer operations only work with AHV's requestor in the guest tools. In the future we hope Nutanix would allow the VSS writer to be used, so that Veeam could consider using our own guest processing with the proxy.
Luca82
Expert
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: lo

Post by Luca82 »

Thank you for your answer, but it's not completely clear for me...
ericschott wrote: Sep 19, 2018 5:55 pm A running VM still may have data on several nodes, so there is not a method to reliably know "what is better". AHV also balances storage for capacity.
I've found this post in wich it seems to be possible to have multiple proxy appliances (maybe one for node?!?) and use the one which is closed to the vm to backup....

vmware-vsphere-f24/veeam-on-nutanix-and ... 41685.html

Moreover it seems to be possible to use NFS but there aren't any official veeam documentation about it...
ericschott wrote: Sep 19, 2018 5:55 pm
We provide agents for customers that require Veeam level guest operations. Today AHV's VSS writer operations only work with AHV's requestor in the guest tools. In the future we hope Nutanix would allow the VSS writer to be used, so that Veeam could consider using our own guest processing with the proxy.
Thank you again. I add another question: is it possible in case of the use of agents, provide a self service restore directly from the guest os (like I can do using the veeam agents)?
ericschott
Product Manager
Liked: 92 times
Full Name: Eric Schott

Post by ericschott »

NTNX does not want backup applications on their internal NFS network (at least that is what their backup guidance for vendors states.

AHV does support CBT, and the AHV proxy is making use of this.

All agent features should be available to you if you choose to use Veeam agents instead of the proxy for VMs.
jkan
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Jason Kan

Post by jkan »

Can we have multiple Proxies assigned to each AHV-Cluster?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

No, currently you can only have one proxy per AHV cluster. Thanks!