Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
BruceLee
Influencer
Liked: never

Best practice RDX

Post by BruceLee »

Hi everybody,

and sorry if this has been asked million times. But I cannot find anything regarding this topic and I'm a novice with Veeam.
I'm backing up 2 VMs from a standalone ESXi 6.7U1. The backup stores to local repository on local disk on the backup server where Veeam is also installed.
Each night the backup runs perfectly.
Now I have setup a Backup copy job to copy the backups (NOT the VMs again) from the local repo to the local attached RDX.
I have set it to run later in the night and also setup an afterjob script to eject the RDX drive (reasons: encryption protection, user who changes RDXs daily knows that he can remove and replace it). The copy job is set to "rotated" and I have set registry key ForceDeleteBackupFiles to 3.
I have also set VMwareOverrideApiVersion 6.7.1=6.7

Now I get tons of errors and emails alerts regarding the copy job. I think its only because the RDX is ejected.
-Failed job >> Cannot connect to target backup repository.
-Repo: Disk space warning
How to get rid of it?
How to set the copy job to only run once after the initial backup? best way would be a trigger on success of the initial job and no schedule at all.

Thanks a lot and kind regards
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Best practice RDX

Post by Dima P. »

Hello,
The copy job is set to "rotated" and I have set registry key
Please review How to configure Veeam for rotated media Kb article to make sure your setup is correct.
Now I get tons of errors and emails alerts regarding the copy job. I think its only because the RDX is ejected.
There is no way to eliminate the job failure if there is no drive in the RDX system: with rotated drive repository configuration described in the KB article you can swap the underlying drives without any issues but device must be connected by the time backup job kicks in. Cheers!
BruceLee
Influencer

Post by BruceLee »

thanks.

yes, its correct. Like described in the KB.
There is no way to eliminate the job failure if there is no drive in the RDX system: with rotated drive repository configuration described in the KB article you can swap the underlying drives without any issues but device must be connected by the time backup job kicks in.
thats the point. the job should not run 24/7 and try to trigger. it is "connected" /injected RDX by the time the job kicks in. the problem is that its "continous" and sends the alerts even though it is not 2am like i configured the backup copy job to run.
i dont want it to run 24/7. just once at 2am.
How to achieve that?
Thanks
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Bruce,

Those errors, are they around the time that the actual backup (not the copy job) is finished?
I believe one way to make this happen is to set the schedule (5th page in the copy job wizard) to only transfer date between certain hours. (In your case, I would say between 1 AM and 4 AM or something like that)
BruceLee
Influencer

Post by BruceLee »

Thanks. The errors start after the copy job and stop as soon as the new rdx is inserted for the next run. every half hour one error.
my backup job starts at midnight and takes more or less time depending on incremental or full run.
the copy job is scheduled for 2am but starts right after the backup job. after that the "errors" start.
if i set it to 1am-4am and it finishes at 2am I would still get 4 errors each night.
I only want real errors. Everything else will lead to the problem that everyone will ignore the fake errors pretty quickly and real errors won't be recognized.
and then we wont have backups. I don't want to check veeam everyday.
I can't imagine that veaam has not a solution for that.

Thanks a lot.