Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
torstende
Novice
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: torsten

MS Scale Out Fileserver and Hyper-V

Post by torstende »

Hello experts,
I would like to backup the nodes (operating system part) of a 4 node scale-out-fileserver for bare-metal recovery.
My environment is build with Hyper-V Cluster and scale-out-fileserver. The VMs are backuped as normal hyper-v backup. Runs fine btw. :-)
In case of a desaster I would like to be able to restore the physical clusternodes as fast as possible. Therefore I deployed the Veeam Agent as described in KB2463 (https://www.veeam.com/kb2463). Now I want to add a Backupjob for the Nodes.
Theoreticaly all I need to do is adding the scale-out-fileserver to a backupjob (KB2463: Cluster Shared Volumes (CSV) are skipped automatically during the backup.) and I can recover from a hardware failure for the individual nodes.
The storage for the VMs will not be backuped as these are Cluster Shared Volumes, right?
I am asking this as the CSVs are many volumes with a huge amount of Terabytes and that would kill my repositroy.

Thank you for your help.
Kind regards,
Torsten
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: MS Scale Out Fileserver and Hyper-V

Post by PTide »

Hi,

That's right, you can use VAW to back up SOFS nodes, CSVs will be skipped automatically.

Thanks!
torstende
Novice
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: torsten

Re: MS Scale Out Fileserver and Hyper-V

Post by torstende »

Hello PTide,
Thank you for your fast response :-)