Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
ghilou
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Is it possible to trigger a synthetic full on a specific date?

Post by ghilou »

The previous weeks, I've had synthetic fulls fail for some reason (now lost in time).

For most jobs they are scheduled to run on saturday, and the retention policy for these jobs is to keep 35 restore points. Since some Synthetic fulls are missing, I have some machines with restore points numbering in the hundreds.

I'd like to know if i can trigger a synthetic full to be created on older restore point, to trigger a removal of the even older ones that are no longer useful. This accumulation of useless RP is a strain on my repository's disk space.
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1173 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Re: Is it possible to trigger a synthetic full on a specific date?

Post by nielsengelen »

Are you sure you are talking about Veeam Agent for Linux? If you are talking about VBR, you can modify the job and put it to run the synthetic tomorrow so the next run will trigger it.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
ghilou
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Post by ghilou »

Yes I am. It is my understanding that Veeam agent for linux's jobs have storage policies very similar to that of the standard virtual machine backup, now they are managed by the VBR.

I could create a new synthetic full today (or wait for tomorow's job to run) but that would not help me much : to make the 35th recovery point availlable to me, Veeam has to keep this specific restore point as long as all the recovery points up to the previous synthetic full (which was created several weeks before that).

Of course, veeam will elegantly removes all the oldest restore point as soon as it has everything it needs to restore datas up to the 35th recovery point. I'm merelly asking if i can make veeam "merge" all of the older restore point in a single synthetic full to save space.

Which is also what the non managed agent used to do (still does?), which had its own drawbacks but was an interesting option.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 720 times

Post by PTide »

Hi,

In other words, you'd like to order the agent to "pull up" the trailing tail of the oldest restore points as follows:

Before: F-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-F-i-i-i-i-i-i
*merge the last 6*
After:---------->F-i-i-i-i-F-i-i-i-i-i-i

Is that correct?

Thanks!