Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
Blue407
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Paul Thomas

GFS backups - storage space used on Synology

Post by Blue407 »

Morning All

I'm reviewing storage space used on my Synology NAS (RS3617xs+) for GFS (GrandFather, Father, Son) backups.
I'm using a Synology NAS with a folder shared to the Veeam Backup Server, the share is on a Btrfs file system.

I have realised that GFS backups are all full size, I had wrongly assumed that some sort of incremental scheme would be used to minimise disk space consumption.

Is there any way around this, to reduce the disk space usage?

My Synology NAS is on a dedicated LAN to the backup server, to protect against hacks etc.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: GFS backups - storage space used on Synology

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Paul,

There is no way to significantly decrease the storage consumption by GFS full backup (you can either modify the list of objects processed by backup copy job or change the schedule to keep less GFS restore points). Take a look at this KB article that might help you to estimate your storage requirements. Hope it helps. Thanks!
Blue407
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Paul Thomas

Post by Blue407 »

Hi

Does anybody know if there are deduplication options for Synology NAS?

or perhaps I should look at iSCSI and then format NTFS with dedup, or ReFS, but i'm concerned that with iSCSI the Host server O/S has access to the Synology, which leaves it more vulnerable to ransomware etc. Currently the NAS is only able to be accessed by Veeam B&R job via a secure login and password.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Paul,

Have not heard about native deduplication capabilities with Synology but adding the iSCSI volume to Windows Server and enabling deduplication feature should work.