Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
rockandroller
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Michael Walker

Now requires SMB3 to restore...

Post by rockandroller »

SMB 3 requirement is unfortunate. For us, anyway - because THREE QUARTERS of our NAS suppliers do not support SMB V3!!

SEAGATE SMB V3.1.1 :D

SHUTTLE SMB V1.5 :(

QNAP SMB V2.1 :(

NETGEAR SMB V1.5 :(

A lot of these NAS hardware providers do not feel compelled to upgrade their firmware for us.
Pretty sad when hardware EOL is less than five years... :|

Recently upgraded all the workstations (and their corresponding recovery drives) - then I got a rude shock when I attempted to do a restore last week, and it refused to read from our backup NAS that was running SMB 1.5 or 2.1
(I forget which...) I had to rummage around for an older version Recovery disk!

I only stumbled on to this on the weekend, when I had to restore a backup (just after naively doing the Veeam Agent upgrade on all of our workstations )
It would be helpful if you would put a big red WARNING next to that "upgrade" link!!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Now requires SMB3 to restore...

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Michael,

Unfortunately, this is Microsoft requirement and you see it because Veeam RE is built on top of components from your OS. I assume this RE was created on Windows 10 machine but you can try to use an RE media created from the older operating system (for example Windows 7) or upgrade you NAS boxes to the latest firmware (most of them should have the smb3 compatibility).
rockandroller
Influencer
Full Name: Michael Walker

Post by rockandroller »

Apparently it is not a very STRICT MS requirement, since we have FIVE windows servers in the building and none of them run anything higher than SMB V2.1

I was able to use the previous version RE media OK. But I just updated all of our current RE media to the latest version. Only SEAGATE has been willing to give us NAS firmware for SMBV3 - all the others have declared the (perfectly good) hardware as EOL :-(

And to add insult to injury, SEAGATE now tells me that they have STOPPED making NAS hardware altogether, so our current SEAGATE 6-bay is also EOL now (and we only bought it 2 years ago!)

(sigh...)
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Michael,

This limitation comes only with latest Windows 10 updates. There is a workaround you can try (it's not recommended by MS, but works): SMBv1 is not installed by default in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update and Windows Server, version 1709.

What Seagate NAS model are you referring to? Thanks!
krzynio
Novice
Full Name: Krzysztof

Post by krzynio »

My case is that I enabled SMB 1.0 on Windows 10 1803 and I can do backup on Zyxel NAS with SMB 1.0 support only. The problem appears during bare metal restore where Veeam Recovery software says that it cannot read data from volumes mounted as SMB 1.0. It supports 2.0 or later. I am using the latest firmware for NAS so upgrade SMB to higher version on NAS is not possible. Veeam Agent for Windows is in latest version 2. Of course I can restore backup by workaround copying it from NAS to USB HDD but it is not what I expect. Any solution how to restore backups by the network?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi krzynio,
I enabled SMB 1.0 on Windows 10 1803
Did you recreate recovery media after support for SMB v1 was enabled on your Operating System? Thanks!