Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
keith Drayton
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Keith Drayton

Add domain users to non domain Veeam server

Post by keith Drayton »

Hi All

Recently carried out a server refresh and this time we have kept the Veeam server as a work group member rather than adding to the Domain.
What i am now stuck with is adding users to Veeam, The local server account is fine and backup jobs are running fine,
I want to add a couple domain users to give them access to some backups how ever it will only allow me to select users from the local server or workgroup,
Is this possible? am i missing something simple? I have spent a lot of time searching nad had no luck,

Thank You
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Add domain users to non domain Veeam server

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Correct, Veeam Backup & Replication and Enterprise Manager only work with the specific domain added to the Backup & Replication/Enterprise Manager Server.

Have you looked into our Self Services? Then it would make sense to add only the Enterprise Manager (seperate VM) to the Domain and use the users defined in the domain to allow them to do self restore. As well it is possible in Update 4 to use vCenter defined access for Backup job management. You can allow a specific vCenter user group (and other seletable scopes) to create Jobs/manage jobs/create restores for their individual VMs where they have rights in vcenter.
keith Drayton
Influencer

Post by keith Drayton »

Hello Andreas

Am i right in saying Self Services is only available in Enterprise Plus? - Thought i read that this morning, We have Enterprise.

Is there an ETA for Update 4 ? That may be the way to go

Thank You
bdufour
Expert
Liked: 41 times
Full Name: blake dufour

Post by bdufour »

the idea with the workgroup server, is to separate veeam from the domain. say a domain account is compromised - the veeam server will be protected. so trying to add domain users to that server defeats that purpose.

i personally dont like the workgroup design, but it has its place. MFA on AD/Domain accounts is a better solution imo. also, when a server or pc isnt joined to a domain, you will not be using kerberos for auth, you will be using ntlm exclusively.
keith Drayton
Influencer

Post by keith Drayton »

I have set up a new Veeam user which is fine but as we do not have Plus i am unable to restrict VM access for the user,
Assuming it is not restricted to Plus users i will have to wait for Update 4 and vCenter defined access.

Thanks