Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
NickChalker
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Nick Chalker

Backup Copies with monthly incementals

Post by NickChalker »

Hi,

Does anyone know if it is possible to have backup copies with monthly incremental s and a single full backup.
We currently have daily backups running but I would also like to have a monthly backup with 13 months retention.

The idea would be a full backup and 13 incremental s

If this is possible could you advise the best way of achieving this using backup copies.

Cheers
Nick
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Backup Copies with monthly incementals

Post by PTide »

Hi,

While it is technically possible to set BCJ sync interval equal to 30 days, is it absolutely required to have incremental monthly backup copies? I think you should stick with Backup Copy GFS retention.

Thanks
NickChalker
Novice

Post by NickChalker »

Hi,

Thank you for your prompt response, we are looking to move away from tape backups and have longer on disk backups (13 months). We currently backup over 700 systems daily using reverse incremental s with 48 days on disk for production and 18 days on disk for QA/DEV systems taking about 180 terabytes of storage, if we assume 50tb is full backups and using GFS with 13 monthly backups that would require about 650tb of storage. I may have misunderstood the BCJ but was thinking that if I schedule the job interval for every 30days, with 13 restore points and 1 yearly backup. I think this should give a single full backup file, 13 monthly incremental files, in year 2 a second full backup file will be created, this can then be reduced with a retention policy.

Cheers
Nick
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide » 1 person likes this post

I may have misunderstood the BCJ but was thinking that if I schedule the job interval for every 30days, with 13 restore points and 1 yearly backup. I think this should give a single full backup file, 13 monthly incremental files, in year 2 a second full backup file will be created, this can then be reduced with a retention policy.
If we consider "every 30 days" to be equal to "once a month", than yes, that would give you increments every 30 days + 1 GFS restore point once a year. You can also manually trigger Active Full in BCJ, but that would cause BCJ to use forward-incremental retention method.

<...> if we assume 50tb is full backups and using GFS with 13 monthly backups that would require about 650tb of storage.
Indeed, that's going to be a lot of storage. However, it might take less space if you use deduplicating appliance as a target combined with Active Full GFS.

Thanks!
NickChalker
Novice

Post by NickChalker »

Hi,

Thank you again for your prompt response and your knowledge in the product, it has been most helpful. I will continue with the 30 day increments but I will also look into the duplication appliance.

Thank you very much again
Cheers