Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
mweiss
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Matthew Weiss

Feature Request - Veeam Snapshots check prior to VM processing

Post by mweiss »

Feature Request:

I would really appreciate a setting in a Veeam backup job such that for each VM in the job, before it starts processing it, it checks to see if there is already a Veeam snapshot in existence for that VM and will delay processing that VM (move it to the bottom of the list of VMs in the job?, or retry after a time period?) until the existing Veeam snapshot clears.

Try as I might to prevent it, I may have overlapping jobs on a VM (replication for use with VAO and backup, with these running from different Veeam servers) and this slows everything down and/or potentially causes me CBT/snapshot/stuck-disk(hot-add) type problems.

If Veeam were smart enough to help ensure two jobs aren't being processed on the same VM at the same time, if the customer wants to avoid this, this would be of great benefit to me in terms of performance and preventing problems.
TrevorBell
Veteran
Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Trevor Bell

Re: Feature Request - Veeam Snapshots check prior to VM processing

Post by TrevorBell »

Hi,

I use RVTools just to check for snapshots left by other people in my IT team .. its very comprehensive and also pickup up alot of other errors too and might be an interim solution for youself ? plus its free ..

https://www.robware.net/rvtools/

Thanks

Trev
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Feature Request - Veeam Snapshots check prior to VM processing

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Matthew,
mweiss wrote:I would really appreciate a setting in a Veeam backup job such that for each VM in the job, before it starts processing it, it checks to see if there is already a Veeam snapshot in existence for that VM and will delay processing that VM (move it to the bottom of the list of VMs in the job?, or retry after a time period?) until the existing Veeam snapshot clears.
What if it is a stalled snapshot for some reason? In this case, the VM in question will never be processed. To resolve an existing snapshot issue, I would recommend taking a look at Veeam ONE, which can send an alert if it detects "orphaned" snapshots left by a job or by a user.
mweiss wrote:Try as I might to prevent it, I may have overlapping jobs on a VM (replication for use with VAO and backup, with these running from different Veeam servers) and this slows everything down and/or potentially causes me CBT/snapshot/stuck-disk(hot-add) type problems.
Yes, job overlap can cause troubles for VSS and application consistency, that's why we highly recommend to separate those or run replication jobs from backups (just created).
mweiss wrote:If Veeam were smart enough to help ensure two jobs aren't being processed on the same VM at the same time, if the customer wants to avoid this, this would be of great benefit to me in terms of performance and preventing problems.
If you run both jobs using the same backup server, then the second job would actually wait till the first one finishes and only after that would start processing the VM. This is not the case when you have one backup server to create backups and another one to run replication jobs.

Thanks!