Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
DVelez
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Daniel Velez

Veeam Hyper-V replica questions

Post by DVelez »

Hi,
I have two questions about Veeam replicas in Hyper-V,

1. Some of my SMB customers are replacing HPE Proliant servers with Lenovo ThinkSystems. So they move the VM's to the new servers and use the old one for replicas. Is there any issues when you replicate to a different brand of server, or even a different server from the same brand?

2. I need to test the replicas, but the only article I found was for Veeam on VMware. Is there an article on how to test replicas on Hyper-V?

Thanks...
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Veeam Hyper-V replica questions

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Daniel,

1. No. There is not an issue.

2. I assume you are referencing to SureReplica technology. This indeed works only for VMware as platforms are different. Testing can be done by using failover as described here: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95 (Make sure you look at the NOTE to avoid IP or other conflicts)

Hope it helps
Mike
DVelez
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Daniel Velez

Post by DVelez »

Hi Mike,
1) Good to know that replicas works with different servers. Question, do I have to do something with drivers on the replica VM's?

2) KB1073 was the article I found on how to test a replica in vSphere. Is there a KB article on how to do the same in Hyper-V?

Thanks,
Daniel
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

1) No. VM drivers will remain the same and have nothing to do with the host drivers.
2) That article is for older versions. Normally you should perform the tests as described in the documentation (see above)