Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
rlaovai
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Alex V

How to safely stop the backup evacuation process?

Post by rlaovai » 1 person likes this post

Greetings.

We have a scale-out repository backed by 2 extents which are iSCSI volumes presented to Veeam. We started backups evacuation from one extent to another but we found evacuation estimate is not fit into our maintenance window. Is there any way to safely cancel evacuation process? Backup jobs failing with "Unable to allocate processing resources. Error: Some extents storing previous backup files are in maintenance mode"

Regards.
Alex.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: How to safely stop the backup evacuation process?

Post by Shestakov » 1 person likes this post

Hello Alex and welcome to the community!
It`s totally safe to abort the evacuation. Already evacuated files will be kept on the new extents and all jobs will work fine.
Thanks!
rlaovai
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Alex V

Post by rlaovai »

Nikita, thank you for the help, but can you please explain how to abort evacuation. I see no such option in interface.

Regards,
Alex.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov » 1 person likes this post

You stop it via the
History>System>Backups evacuation job > Stop
williampu
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: William Pu

Post by williampu »

Is this safe to do on ReFS volumes?
My current SOBR is at 1.2PB with ~470TB consumed, however the written data is sized at ~6PB in size.
Will the consumption of each extent on the receiving end reduce to post ReFS data reduction sizes if the process is stopped?
I'm asking as I started the migration process late last week and its done 25% of one extent and the other extents are basically full now. :shock:
mkretzer
Veeam Legend
Liked: 387 times

Post by mkretzer »

REFS block clone does not work for evacuations! Currently there seems to be no way to "transfer" the block clone benefits.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi William,
Mkretzer is correct. REFS block cloning cannot be simply copied from one volume to another. The block cloning mechanism is something that works per volume and if you move data to another volume, then you will see it is "rehydrated" (which is not really the correct term but I hope you understand what I mean). When data is on the new volume, only after a new synthetic full, the blocks can get aligned on that specific volumen and then you can start benefitting again.