Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
redhorse
Expert
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: RH

Backup Hyper-V Host and VMs

Post by redhorse »

Hello,

I have to install a physical server for a branch office with the following configuration:

- physical Hyper-V Host with no other role
- VM1: DC, DNS and DHCP
- VM2: File & Printserver

Now, I want to provide a backup solution, which is as simple as possible for the people on-site and it's necessary to use rotated media (e.g. external harddisks) as the backup storage. I would prefer an application consistent backup of the whole Hyper-V host and the running VMs in one step with the external harddisk as target. I see that Acronis and BackupAssist provide such solutions but it's still not clear for me if this is possible with Veeam.

Is that supported and possible?

Thanks in advance!
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Backup Hyper-V Host and VMs

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
you can use rotated USB hard drives with Veeam. It's a common scenario. See here how to configure it

If you plan to run Veeam directly as a VM on the Hyper-V host, you just need to make sure that the Veeam Server sees the USB disks in the VM.

For the Hyper-V host itself, you could use the Veeam Agent for Windows and only backup the OS partition. If you would backup everything with the Agent, you would not be able to do single item recovery inside the VMs (files, active directory users)

Best regards,
Hannes