Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
itpau
Influencer
Liked: 2 times

Job Backup Copy

Post by itpau »

Hello,

I've some questions about Backup Copy, because it's little bit blurred.

I'd like to set this up :

1- Does it a good design ?

2- Will the copies contains only the fulls backup ?

3- Will the copies works in the same way for Full Synthetic and Active Full backup ?

4- Only one full backup per backup job will be done ?

Regards,

ITPAU
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Job Backup Copy

Post by Shestakov »

Hello,
1) I would use 1 backup job with mon-fri increments and active full on Saturday
2) In your case no. But it depends on settings. In general backup copies work as a chain of fulls and increments.
3) No.
4) For which job?
itpau
Influencer
Liked: 2 times

Post by itpau »

Thanks for your reply.

1- You propose that because my Job Backup Saturday have the same retention than backup Copy weekly ?
The repository location of all my backup copy is to an other site, so, if I have to restore it will be more faster if I have backup on my main site, no ?

2- I don't need to have increments on my copy job, How to just copy full backup when increments are present in a backup chain ?

3- Ok

4- Both Backup Job
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

1) I purpose 1 job because in your case you will have extra full backups, 1st chain will require backup verification. Plus it's easier to manage less jobs.
2) You can workaround it with Active Full Copy Backups. But I would suggest to go for shortest main chain, which is 2 points and GFS. This way you will have only 1 increment.
4) Yes.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

To avoid possible confusion:
itpau wrote: Jan 15, 2019 4:14 pm 3- Will the copies works in the same way for Full Synthetic and Active Full backup ?
Backup copy job always copies the latest VM state to the target repository, so it doesn't matter what kind of backup was performed on source - synthetic full, active full or incremental. It just copies blocks required to build new restore point on target.
itpau wrote: Jan 15, 2019 4:14 pm 4- Only one full backup per backup job will be done ?
Due to how retention works for forward incremental mode, there could be two full backups on disk on some days of the week.