Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Reimold
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Dirk Reimold

File restore from USB disk

Post by Reimold »

Hello,

we have some large Windows fileservers with a backup file of 7-9 TB each and have no problem with the backups itself and have done sucessful file restores many times. We have an additional backup copy job that archives those file servers on an simple SATA disk that is connected with an USB adapter on a simple workstation - this is also working without any problem.

However when I try to restore a single file from this backup copy the workstation that has the disk attached with USB runs out of memory and I get an error 9 out of 10 times.

Here is what I do: On the Veeam Server I open the USB disk as a network share and double click on the Backup file - after a little waiting I can select the restore method and the restore point - after waiting a while longer the Windows file restore windows opens (but most of the time my workstation brings out of memory errors and hangs up)

I have tested this with different clients (Windows 7 and 10) and different amount of RAM (8-16 GB) - the 16GB machine works best - but not always.

Is this a normal behaviour? Ho much RAM should I have to avoid any RAM shortage?

Thank you

Dirk
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: File restore from USB disk

Post by foggy »

Hi Dirk, this doesn't look normal. Have you contacted technical support already?