Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
Ceds_BE
Lurker
Liked: 1 time

9.5u4 Azure Storage Capacity Tier - Network

Post by Ceds_BE »

Hi all,

Thanks to The Word of Gostev I'm now running 9.5u4. Just in time to offload backups from our almost saturated archive server.

The setup was a walk in the park, but now I'm left with some interrogations, I'm sure you can help me with that :)

Time window to upload to object storage

I have defined a time windows that permit upload from 21:00 to 05:59.
I see the job start at 21:00 and stops with a failed status at 05:59.

At the next start, it doesn't seem to continue from where it has stopped. Is it just an impression or the way it is supposed to work?

Upload Throttling
Rather than a time window to upload I would prefer a throttling during business hours. Is it achievable with a Network Traffic Rule? If yes which IPs should I put in the range?

Thanks for your help,

Cédric
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: 9.5u4 Azure Storage Capacity Tier - Network

Post by Gostev »

Hello Cédric!

1. This is just an impression.

2. Look in the global Network Traffic Rules. In Update 4, there's the predefined one that is called Internet, this one basically contains all IP addresses from outside of IPv4 private address space. So if your production network is correctly designed, this rule will be the easiest way to enable throttling for everything Veeam-related that leaves for the Internet. Otherwise, you'd have to do a research on the IP address range for your chosen Azure data center.

Thanks!
Ceds_BE
Lurker
Liked: 1 time

Post by Ceds_BE » 1 person likes this post

Hello,

Well, those are the two response I was willing to see, thanks!

1. Great, I'll be patient then.

2. The more obvious, the less I see it. Thanks for pointing me to it. Now I see it, even if I had already looked there before.

Thanks for the answers,
Have a nice weekend,
Cédric
DarrenToews
Influencer
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Darren Toews

Post by DarrenToews »

Hi all,

Here's a couple of related questions.

I'm configuring throttling for my Veeam servers (9.5 U4a) to the Internet for the use of Azure Capacity Tier as well. I'm limiting the speed during business hours (6am - 10pm, M-F). If I want a faster rate of speed outside of those hours:
1) Can I create a second rule to the Internet? There's only a single rule for "Internet" if I try to create a new rule, it asks me to specify IP ranges.
2) If I don't/can't create a second rule for off-hours, will it automatically use the maximum available outside of the time range where throttling is enabled in the traffic rules? I don't want to saturate our internet connection, so if this is the case, I'd likely just set it to throttle all the time rather than max out our connection in off-hours and cause issues for other services and/or users during those times.

Thanks in advance!

Darren
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Hello!

1. No, you cannot create a second role for the Internet, because "there can only be one" Internet ;) however, did you consider specifying IP address range for your chosen Azure data center in the second rule?

2. Yes, outside of the time range where throttling is enabled in the traffic rules it will use the maximum available bandwidth.

Thanks!