Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
daystrom
Expert
Liked: 8 times

Restore was successful except for mouse support

Post by daystrom »

My first restore with veeam agent for windows to solve an actual need has not gone well. I needed to restore a Intel Intel Core i7-6700K pc running windows 7 pro to a new pc that has an AMD RYZEN 7 2700 chip. No issues with recovery media, which was created on the original pc, but the mouse doesn't work. A ps2 keyboard will work; a usb keyboard will not work. I haven't found a usb mouse yet to test with but no usb mouse works so far. I've tried many devices and various usb ports.

I logged in to windows and ran windows update, expecting it to pull down drivers that would make it work. It did pull down 7-8 drivers, mostly AMD and video drivers, but mouse is still inoperable. A restart, and now windows update fails when it trys to look for update.

I have opened case 03370895 but thought I'd ask here too. I did find some other posts that sounded a little like this but nothing that presented a fix.

I am not very experienced with veeam agent for windows; the extent of my experience with restores was a test where windows 2012 r2 backup was restored to this same pc; it went perfectly. That also was an Intel => AMD progression, but the difficulties I'm having today make me wonder if Intel => AMD is tricky in general. I haven't had an AMD chip in well over a decade. If this is more of a general issue with veeam not being reliable with restore to different hardware, then that's another story.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Restore was successful except for mouse support

Post by Dima P. »

Hello daystrom,
I haven't found a usb mouse yet to test with but no usb mouse works so far. I've tried many devices and various usb ports.
Can you please clarify how usb mouse was connected to the machine (directly or via hub)?
That also was an Intel => AMD progression, but the difficulties I'm having today make me wonder if Intel => AMD is tricky in general. I haven't had an AMD chip in well over a decade. If this is more of a general issue with veeam not being reliable with restore to different hardware, then that's another story.
Bare Metal Recovery should work without any issues. You might see some issues with drivers but these issues could be resolved by injecting the correct driver directly to Recovery Media (Tools > Load Driver).
daystrom
Expert

Post by daystrom »

Hi Dima and thanks for the reply.
The mouse and keyboard are basic Logitech devices, no special drivers. They are directly connected (on both source and destination pcs). Hardware driver checkbox was selected (it is by default). I tried wired and non wired versions of both devices in usb. And, I found a ps2 mouse and it does work.
daystrom
Expert

Post by daystrom »

the same pc/motherboard has worked faultlessly when I installed windows 7 on it, and also the veeam restore of windows 2012 r2 server. No special drivers were needed.
daystrom
Expert

Post by daystrom »

You wrote "You might see some issues with drivers but these issues could be resolved by injecting the correct driver directly to Recovery Media (Tools > Load Driver)". I find it very hard to believe that I'd need to specifically include the generic windows usb drives via "include the following additional storage and network hardware drivers" at recovery media creation. But if I try that, is there a folder that contains those? It asks for a folder.

Another thing I don't get about this is why when I ran windows update one time to see if it would pick up usb drivers, it didn't help (tho it did pull amd drivers) and since then windows update won't work at all.
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

I'd guess it's more likely that the USB hub itself is not being found by Windows due to a missing driver for a PCI bus bridge device that is unique to the newer/different hardware. That is just a guess, but for scenarios where simple USB HID devices don't work, that's just about the only likely culprit. I'd probably look in device manager and see how many devices show up there and if there are any USB devices at all, or how many things are showing as missing a driver.

The other simple thing to try is downloading and installing the AMD Series 7 Chipset Drivers available below:

https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets ... psets/780g

That should include all of the drivers for your motherboard chipset.
tsightler
VP, Product Management

Post by tsightler »

BTW, here's an article that talks about issues with AMD Ryzen 7 chipset and non-working USB keyboard/mouse even when installing Windows 7 64-bit. One of the suggestions is to install with a PS/2 keyboard and then install the chipset drivers after the install is complete to get USB support working, so I really think that's the most likely issue and certainly worth giving a try.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11182/ho ... dows-7-x64

BTW, I'm assuming you've tried all the USB ports? Usually the USB 2.0 should work without any specific drivers, and those are usually the ones that are a different color and closest to the PS/2 port.
daystrom
Expert

Post by daystrom »

Yes I tried all of the usb ports. It does seem like a reasonable idea to try the chipset install. I'm going to try that. Thanks for the idea...I had it yesterday, but didn't chase it down. Wouldn't chipset drivers be expected to show up via windows update, which I did try?
daystrom
Expert

Post by daystrom »

Wow, thank you tsightler, the chipset drivers were what I was missing. I didn't realize that recent AMD chipsets had issues with windows 7 to this degree. Now I can get on with things!
tsightler
VP, Product Management

Post by tsightler »

I wouldn't really call it issues per-se, but Windows 7 was released nearly 10 years ago now, and the hardware is much newer than that, so it's somewhat expected that some drivers will have to be manually installed. Also, 3rd parties are responsible for providing Microsoft updated drivers to publish, and Microsoft is far less aggressive with pushing new drivers to older operating systems, especially those that are nearly 10 years old at this point. If you want the latest drivers you almost always have to go directly to the 3rd-party vendor.

Of course, there's also the case that you are restoring an image from another system so, for example, a fresh install might work OK. That's simply the nature of moving images across hardware. Veeam doesn't do much to the image to help out here, it expects the OS to work out what drivers are needed, but sometimes, when restoring across disparate hardware, you have to help the OS out a little. For example, if you had gone to device manager, found the unrecognized devices, and manually triggered an update of that specific device, perhaps it would have been able to find the driver on Windows update that way.

Anyway, sounds like it's working now, so congrats!