Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
zadrian
Expert
Liked: 4 times

How to create multiple schedules ?

Post by zadrian »

I am running VBR 9.5u3 with Enterprise Plus license on DC & site-1 (1 veeam server each with proxy and WAN accelerator enabled)

For example I have 10 VMs and 3 are mission critical.

So I perform weekly backups for 7 VMs and Daily Backup for 3 VMs with backup copy to remote site and and also replication of the 3 VMs (using remote site storage as source and site-1 Veeeam server as proxy).

I created 1 job per VM so I have weekly-1 to weekly-7 & Daily-1, Daily-2 & Daily 3 with backupcopy-1, backupcopy-2, backupcopy-3 & replication-1, replication-2, replication-3 all on the main Veeam server.

I scheduled the weekly jobs such that weekly-7 will start when weekly-6 ends, weekly-6 starts when weekly-5 ends......weekly-1 starts on sat & sat at 1400 hours.
I schedule the daily jobs in the same way except that daily-1 starts at 10pm and replication-1 starts when daily-3 ends. Backupcopy jobs are part of the daily secondary jobs...but there is a job setting that says copy every 1 day at 9:15pm (I got no idea what this means).
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95

1. How do I schedule the backups to run especially if the public holiday falls on a weekday (Xmas 2018 or New Year 2019) ?
2. How do I schedule a different time for certain days (for example I have a break-fix so I need to delay the daily for tomorrow or every Tuesday to start at a later time ?
3. What is the use for the backup copy "copy every day or hour" setting ?
ejenner
Veteran
Liked: 100 times
Full Name: EJ

Re: How to create multiple schedules ?

Post by ejenner »

I think if you want the schedule to adjust for public holidays then you'll have to automate this via Powershell. Don't ask me how, I've no idea where you'd start with that. But I imagine a powershell script would have the ability to identify public holidays in a calendar and then adjust the schedule of existing jobs in Veeam. It could be set to run automatically making the schedules automatically adjust for public holidays.

"copy every 1 day at 9:15pm" = run the job every day at 9:15pm.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello.
1. How do I schedule the backups to run especially if the public holiday falls on a weekday (Xmas 2018 or New Year 2019) ?
As EJ mentioned this is not possible via UI but could be scripted with PowerShell. You can check script examples provided here.
2. How do I schedule a different time for certain days (for example I have a break-fix so I need to delay the daily for tomorrow or every Tuesday to start at a later time ?
It's not possible with single backup job but you can create multiple jobs with the same source and configure different schedules.
3. What is the use for the backup copy "copy every day or hour" setting ?
With this options you are setting the time interval according to which the synchronization process must start. To learn more about Backup Copy intervals please refer to the Backup Copy Intervals Help Center article. Cheers!
zadrian
Expert

Post by zadrian »

Would Veeam consider this as a feature request ?
Not all businesses run 7 days a week, most run only 5 days a week, or even 5.5 days, so backups can start earlier on weekends than weekdays or even public holidays.

Even if I created a powershell script to start the jobs early, the jobs will start again on the scheduled time (eg i set to run at 9pm but will start again at 10pm "daily schedule).
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Zadrian,

This is already noted as a feature request before. We will add your vote to it.
Note: This doesn't mean it will be implemented in the next version though ;-)
zadrian
Expert

Post by zadrian »

I noticed that there is a feature/setting in Veeam Agent for Windows that says "backup no more often than xx hours"....is this available in VBR 9.x ?

If I trigger jobs using powershell, does it appear in the VBR 9.x console ?

If you see where I am getting at, I do not mind triggering backup jobs from powershell, but if I can stop the current scheduled from running for the next few hours ?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

zadrian,

Unfortunately, there is no such feature in Veeam B&R, it's available only in Veeam Agent for Windows.

If PowerShell is an option - you can create a backup job with Veeam B&R UI and disable the schedule. Within the script you can trigger the backup job runs according to your own schedule (you basically should call backup job to start at the desired day and that's it). Makes sense?
zadrian
Expert

Post by zadrian »

Hi Dima,

I have tested and it does not make sense....

I tried 2 methods.....

Method 1...use powershell to start a few jobs...they run together at an earlier time like 8pm instead of the original time of 10pm. But at 10pm the Veeam tasks also runs as per schedule....then I have double list of tasks running.

Method 2...I clone the tasks....then I rename the tasks to test-"original name" and set the tasks to run after one task end and set the first task to start at 8pm instead of the original 10pm....same I have double the list of task running at 10pm.
RubinCompServ
Service Provider
Liked: 65 times
Full Name: David Rubin

Post by RubinCompServ »

I'd like to +1 the ability for multiple schedules on a single job. We have some jobs that are chained together, but we'd like to also ensure that they ALL run at 10pm.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

David, kindly, avoid posting the same request in multiple discussions (I've already provided an answer in the adjacent thread). Thanks for understanding!
RubinCompServ
Service Provider
Liked: 65 times
Full Name: David Rubin

Post by RubinCompServ »

Sorry about that. I just wanted to be sure that my +1 was counted (in case they were being treated as two separate feature requests).