Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ejenner
Veteran
Liked: 100 times
Full Name: EJ

clearing orphaned .vib & .vbk files

Post by ejenner »

I spend quite a bit of time moving backups around on my repositories as I'm implementing a new Veeam architecture currently.

So although I do try to keep things tidy I'm wondering if there may be any orphaned .vib & .vbk files sitting in my backup folders which are from old backups and aren't being used.

I could check manually by doing a wildcard search on each of my repositories and looking for old files which don't appear to be part of a backup chain.

I'm imagining I might not be the first person who has wanted to do this so I wondered if there was a quicker way to find backup files which aren't connected with a current backup chain.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: clearing orphaned .vib & .vbk files

Post by Dima P. »

Hi EJ,

Do you still have you old Veeam B&R server with backup jobs? If yes, you could use Veeam ONE's Orphaned VMs report to discover VMs that are present in existing backup files, but are missing in backup, replication or backup to tape jobs.

If you don't have it, I believe the best way would be to import backup file to Veeam B&R and make a decision based on it's content.