Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
tdeklein
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Thomas de Klein

FLR to Linux System with Umlauts in path and filename

Post by tdeklein »

Hi there,

we recently had a support case with Veeam regarding FLR of a backup from a Linux system to a Linux system. I was asked to post this here to make devel aware of the problem 'cause so far we have only a workaround that wont work in most cases.

Given is a backup from a Linux system and the need to restore somefiles. Starting the FLR App and selecting the files worked fine. Restore was extremely slow and stopped after about 5 to 10 MB (of14G). Veeam support pointed out the the release notes state under "known issues" that ssh operations on files and paths with umlauts are currently a problem and not working.

The workaround was to activate the root login in the FLR App and connect from the target system to the FLR App to get the files via sftp. That worked like a charm and at expected speeds.

Unfortunately this would be impossible for most of our systems, because between the FLR App and the systems that might need a restore there are firewalls that would allow a connection from FLR App to target system, but not the other way around.

One (hopefully) easy solution to the problem would be to use sftp instead of ssh for file operations in the FLR App.

I would be glad to hear about any other solution.

Cheers
Thomas
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: FLR to Linux System with Umlauts in path and filename

Post by PTide »

Hi,
<...>there are firewalls that would allow a connection from FLR App to target system, but not the other way around.
One (hopefully) easy solution to the problem would be to use sftp instead of ssh for file operations in the FLR App.
Maybe it's me missing something important, but how using SFTP going to be an easy solution for you considering the mentioned limitation being in place? Also, is the target VM hosted on VMware or Hyper-V?

Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Any chance this system is not UTF-8?
tdeklein
Novice

Post by tdeklein »

PTide wrote: Jan 23, 2019 5:57 pm Maybe it's me missing something important, but how using SFTP going to be an easy solution for you considering the mentioned limitation being in place? Also, is the target VM hosted on VMware or Hyper-V?
Hi,

thats my point: The workaround is for various reasons not a solution for production use :-). And we use VMware.

Cheers
Thomas
tdeklein
Novice

Post by tdeklein »

foggy wrote: Jan 30, 2019 4:34 pm Any chance this system is not UTF-8?
No, its UTF-8.

Cheers
Thomas
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Thomas, could you please share your support case ID? Thanks!
tdeklein
Novice

Post by tdeklein »

tdeklein wrote: Feb 12, 2019 8:50 am thats my point: The workaround is for various reasons not a solution for production use :-). And we use VMware.
And here I obviously misunderstood your question. Let me rephrase my answer :-).

The problem we have is with the direction of the traffic flow. Since using sftp did not have the problem with special characters/umlauts that ssh has, I guess the solution would be to use (or even better make it optional) sftp instead of ssh for all file operations from the FLR App to the target.

Cheers
Thomas
tdeklein
Novice

Post by tdeklein »

Hi,
foggy wrote: Feb 12, 2019 4:54 pm Thomas, could you please share your support case ID? Thanks!
the case IDs are 03327267 and 03351085

Cheers
Thomas