Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Backup & Replication, VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V in a single System Center Operations Manager Console
aboutblank
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Simen Ødegård

Alert if vm is not backed up

Post by aboutblank »

We had an issue where an admin disabled our backup job and it was not discovered untill a week had passed.

Is it possible to monitor the state of the jobs, alerting if they are disabled?

Or even better, is it possible to monitor the last backup date of a vm, alerting if a vm has not been backed up for x number of hours/days?
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: Alert if vm is not backed up

Post by wishr »

Hi Simen,

Absolutely, we have RPO compliance monitor to track the job configuration compliance with a set RPO threshold (25 hours by default) and other situations that might lead to RPO violation. It will alert you if a job is "Disabled", violates RPO due to configured schedule settings, or even not scheduled at all. This monitor is intentionally disabled by default (to decrease the load on B&R server, SCOM itself, and cut down possible unnecessary "noise"), so you may go to the Authoring pane and enable it for a certain Job type by setting the override "Enabled = True", you may also adjust the RPO value there.

Additionally, I would suggest scheduling the Protected VMs report to achieve optimal backup job transparency.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Fedor
aboutblank
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Simen Ødegård

Post by aboutblank »

Ah, can't believe i missed that while looking at the documentation!

I'll make sure to activate the monitor with an override.

I tried to run the Protected VMs report, but it shows all VMs unprotected. I'll look into the requirements for the report.

Thanks Fedor!
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Hi Simen,

You are welcome. If any questions appear, just let us know!

Thanks