Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
evilaedmin
Expert
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Eugene V

StoreOnce CIFS store for Agent config options

Post by evilaedmin »

Hello,

Docs mention the settings required for StoreOnce Catalyst stores, as well as backup file chain limitations.

OTOH, Agents require a CIFS store.

Is it correct to apply all same settings as required for Catalyst Store to CIFS store, (per VM Backup file, disable defragmentation and compact, etc) to CIFS store?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: StoreOnce CIFS store for Agent config options

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
not all limitations are the same, but most are. Instead of going through all of them, I would like to recommend the best practice guide table (scroll down to the end) overview about job and repository configuration for integrated / non-integrated (your case) deduplication appliances.

To avoid synthetic operations (really slow over SMB) I can highly recommend (as also mentioned in the best practice guide) to use "Active Full Backups".

Best regards,
Hannes
evilaedmin
Expert

Post by evilaedmin »

Thank you Hannes!
evilaedmin
Expert

Post by evilaedmin »

HannesK wrote: Jan 18, 2019 6:47 am To avoid synthetic operations (really slow over SMB) I can highly recommend (as also mentioned in the best practice guide) to use "Active Full Backups".
Hannes:

When you say slow, what sort of figure are you thinking of? I have a 12 TB client which is limited to about 60MB/s of throughput, which appears to be mainly attributed to Target (120 hours by my estimate). It would be infeasible to do a weekly Active Full, and still difficult to do a monthly.

Are there any concerns for backup chain length with StoreOnce CIFS as there are with Catalyst? I could do a quarterly active full if the backup chain length was not an issue. Otherwise I have the choice of waiting 120 hours for active full to complete or benchmark synthetic full and hope it is faster. Something tells me the random-io limitations of synthetic full on CIFS will be poor.

Thank you
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Chain length limitation are not that critical for CIFS repository. The strict numbers mentioned in the user guide are Catalyst-specific.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

the actual speed always depends on the model / number of disks, but something between 50-150MByte/s per stream (agent) is what I have seen at customers in the past
evilaedmin
Expert

Post by evilaedmin »

Are "Bottleneck:" statistics affected Synthetic full operations or are they strictly for the backup steps before "Creating Synthetic Full" begins in the Job Actions view?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Bottleneck stats does not cover synthetic full stage, it is for actual data processing only.