Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mcz
Veeam Legend
Liked: 172 times
Full Name: Michael

small migration issue Update 4

Post by mcz »

Hi everybody.

After some tests I used the RTM-build of Update 4 in our production. Suddenly SureBackup was failing and I didn't understand why (error message: failed to extend swap file 0 from .....). I noticed that local disk space of veeam server was getting low during SureBackup and took a look at the folder where the NFS cache files are stored but couldn't find anything.

I checked which folder used more space during SureBackup than before and found the following folder:

C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Backup\NfsDatastore

This confused me a bit because I was always using a different folder in the past so it looks like this has been caused by the update. I also checked my VirtualLab-Settings and saw that the "redirect write cache" option was unchecked which has not been done by myself and seems to be due to the update too.

So for me it was an easy task to just check the box and now everything seems to be as before. I just wannted to make life easier for others in case somebody else is having issues which are caused by the deactivated write cache.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: small migration issue Update 4

Post by foggy »

Hi Michael, thanks for reporting. We will try to reproduce this behavior and fix the issue, if it is caused by update.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

The issue was confirmed and will be addressed in one of the following updates.
Didi7
Veteran
Liked: 59 times

[MERGED] VBR 9.5 U4 creates another new directory

Post by Didi7 »

Hello,

I noticed that upgrading Veeam Backup & Replication U3 to U4 creates another directory (with sub-directories) ...

D:\ProgramData\Veeam\Backup\NfsDatastore

.. allthough the original path ...

D:\VEEAM\Backup\NfsDatastore

... still exists and was orginally created (path customized) during the initial VBR 9.5 installation.

Where can this path be configured or influenced?

Regards,
Didi7
Using the most recent Veeam B&R in many different environments now and counting!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Known issue; will be fixed down the road. Thanks!
Didi7
Veteran

Post by Didi7 »

The question is ...

How can I configure the path to the old one and delete the new path?

Regards,
Didi7
Using the most recent Veeam B&R in many different environments now and counting!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

I think you should go to the setting of your backup repository - > Mount Server -> Folder and explicitly set original path there. Then, you can remove the unneeded folder. Thanks!
Didi7
Veteran

Post by Didi7 »

Hello v.Eremin,

if I do this and set the path back to the original path and ...

Code: Select all

Enable vPower NFS service on the mount server (recommended)
... is selected, I get the following errors during Apply ...

1/24/2019 5:54:18 PM Error    Reconfiguring vPower NFS service Error: Failed to call RPC function 'Reconfigure': The system cannot find the file specified. Failed to open registry key [SOFTWARE\VeeaM\Veeam NFS\ItemsCache]. RPC: Failed Reconfigure.
                              Failed to call RPC function 'Reconfigure': The system cannot find the file specified. Failed to open registry key [SOFTWARE\VeeaM\Veeam NFS\ItemsCache]. RPC: Failed Reconfigure.

1/24/2019 5:54:18 PM Error    Failed to save Backup Repository: Failed to call RPC function 'Reconfigure': The system cannot find the file specified. Failed to open registry key [SOFTWARE\VeeaM\Veeam NFS\ItemsCache]. RPC: Failed Reconfigure.

1/24/2019 5:54:18 PM Error    Infrastructure item save failed Error: Failed to call RPC function 'Reconfigure': The system cannot find the file specified. Failed to open registry key [SOFTWARE\VeeaM\Veeam NFS\ItemsCache]. RPC: Failed Reconfigure.
Deselecting 'Enable vPower NFS service on the mount server (recommended)' applies without errors, but the changed path ...

%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Veeam\Backup\NfsDatastore or D:\ProgramData\Veeam\Backup\NfsDatastore
... is restored again!

Drive D:\ has 153GB free available disk space!

Any ideas?

Regards,
Didi7
Didi7
Veteran

Post by Didi7 » 2 people like this post

Ok, I found out what's the problem here ...

Veeam B&R 9.5 U4 upgrade creates a new path, here in my environments on 2 different systems ...

D:\ProgramData\Veeam\Backup\NfsDatastore (or %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Veeam\Backup\NfsDatastore)

%ALLUSERSPROFILE% = C:\ProgramData

On one server, drive C:\ has more than 200GB free, but path is corrected from C:\ to D:\ drive.

I had to edit the registry key ...

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam NFS\RootFolder

... manually to my old path and when I finally reopened VBR and enable ...

Enable vPower NFS service on the mount server (recommended)

... to my originally configured path, the path is accepted and Apply works without errors.

And D:\ProgramData\Veeam\Backup\NfsDatastore (created by upgrading to VBR 9.5 U4) can finally be deleted!

Regards,
Didi7
Didi7
Veteran

Post by Didi7 »

Btw, after resolving the issue with the NfsDatastore path above, I created a new customized Backup Repository and at 'Mount Server' the path D:\ProgramData\Veeam\Backup\NfsDatastore is proposed again but it can be overwritten again and Apply works without errors.

Strange!

Regards,
Didi7
billcouper
Service Provider
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Bill Couper

Post by billcouper »

Yeah confirmed, this happened in our environment too.

37 virtual labs all lost the tick in 'redirect write cache' which caused many failures last night
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

We're currently working on a hotfix that should allow to bring the setting and paths back for those labs that haven't yet been re-deployed manually.
Tim.kh
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Timur

Post by Tim.kh »

Hi,
Could you confirm that this issue is resolved?

I have a fresh install of VBR and I can not add a repository. Also in a registry I do not have key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam NFS\, just HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Backup and Replication\NFS

Thanks.
Didi7
Veteran

Post by Didi7 »

Hi Tim.kh,

it depends on how you open the Registry Editor. Have you looked, if you have the following key …

HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Veeam\Veeam NFS\

… instead?

Regards,
Didi7
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Here's the hotfix for this issue.