Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
RGijsen
Expert
Liked: 25 times

New primary repository - will WAN copy-job suffer?

Post by RGijsen »

Hi,
I'm soon replacing my primary SAN based primary repository with a large DAS based repository. As I'm also switching from ReFS back to NTFS. I guess the quickest way to get back on track is to just update the jobs with the correct repository settings, and do an active full. However, when I start the primary repository from scratch with active fulls, will the next wan-based copy-job still only do changed blocks compared to the primary job? Or would the next copy-job be practically a full as well?
In that case, can I better copy the last chain of full and incrementals to the new repository, and map those backup files?

I founda lot of info about mapping backups, but not specifically on how copy jobs would pick that up. The main issue is that we are very limited in WAN (VPN) bandwidth to our remote site.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: New primary repository - will WAN copy-job suffer?

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
changing to a new repository does not have any impact on WAN acceleration as the data of the backup is the same.

Best regards,
Hannes
RGijsen
Expert
Liked: 25 times

Post by RGijsen »

Ok. So it shouldn't make a difference if I copy the last chain or just do an active full, with regards to amount of data in the next copy job.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Right, backup copy job will still process only changed blocks.