Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
GabesVirtualWorld
Expert
Liked: 38 times
Full Name: Gabrie van Zanten

Old VMs and retention policy

Post by GabesVirtualWorld »

Hi,
We're migrating VMs from Hyper-V 2012R2 to 2016. We do this using VEEAM Replication. Now, I would like to be sure what the best way is to handle the VMs in the backup jobs and keep the old copies.

OldVM is in daily backup job with 14 restore points. Remove deleted VMs after 14 days.
OldVM is in Copy Job with 3 restore points, 4 week backups, 12 month, 0 quartly, 15 year backups. Remove deleted VMs after = NOT SET.

When I now remove the oldVM from the backup job, I expect it to be removed after 14 days if there are no successful backups for the past 14 days. ( https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... l?ver=95u4 ).

But what will happen for the Copy Job? Will the 15 year backups be preserved? Since there is no policy set to remove deleted VMs, I'd guess that the GFS backups will be preserved. Will the GFS still be maintained even though the VM doesn't exist anymore? So after 12 months, the first monthly will be removed. And after 5 weeks the first week backup will be removed?

Gabrie
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Old VMs and retention policy

Post by foggy »

Hi Gabrie, GFS restore points are not affected by deleted VMs retention setting, GFS retention will work normally for them regardless of whether 'Remove deleted items data' check box is enabled or not.

Just keep in mind that prior to U4 there was an issue with deleted VMs retention for regular jobs in case of per-VM backup chains.
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Post by DGrinev »

GabesVirtualWorld wrote: Jan 28, 2019 9:09 am So after 12 months, the first monthly will be removed. And after 5 weeks the first week backup will be removed?
That's correct, when the archived RPs will exceed GFS retention value it will remove the earliest one. Thanks!
GabesVirtualWorld
Expert
Liked: 38 times
Full Name: Gabrie van Zanten

Post by GabesVirtualWorld »

Thank you for the replies