Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
cpfleger
Certified Trainer
Liked: 44 times
Full Name: Claus Pfleger

Excluding specific disk or file types with mode Entire Computer?

Post by cpfleger »

Is it possible to exclude specific disks/volumes (or file types/folders) from processing with the Veeam Agent for Linux?

My customer is running Oracle on the system(s) and needs to backup system only -> makes no sense to discuss Veeam Oracle integration.
Just backing up on a volume level doesn't give him the restore experience he expects as then he has to hang in restored volumes manually.

If exclusion of volumes (or files/folders) is not possible pls. understand my post as a feature request - thx!

Regards!
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 728 times

Re: Excluding specific disk or file types with mode Entire Computer?

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Would you clarify this part, please? What do you mean by "he has to hang in restored volumes manually."?
Just backing up on a volume level doesn't give him the restore experience he expects as then he has to hang in restored volumes manually.
Why can't he just select only the required volumes? For example, if he selects sda and sdb, and deselects sda1 and sdb2, then VAL will backup whatever partitions are present on sda and sdb except for sda1 and sdb2.

Thanks!
cpfleger
Certified Trainer
Liked: 44 times
Full Name: Claus Pfleger

Re: Excluding specific disk or file types with mode Entire Computer?

Post by cpfleger »

Ok, translating the intel I've got from Mr customer:

"Updated to Veeam 9.5 Update 4 and now we can back up our Linux Servers (RHEL7, LVM, Oracle Datenbanken).
When we restore the system comes up but volumes are not being mapped. We created a new initrd using a Live system and thus being able to restore the whoöe system.

Of course we want to have an easier restore than this procedure."
He sent me some screenshots showing that the Agent Job was set up to do Volume level backup pf the /dev/sda

After explaining that the Backup Mode also determines restore (https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=30) and asking for more details I've got the following:

"Well, Veeam shall only back up the OS while HPE DP shall back up the Oracle DBs. How can we then exclude the Oracle DBs?"

So for some reason his restore of the volume backup ends with a non working machine which had to be repaired manually (so probably "hang in the volumes manually" was not so precise as I wanted it to be) and by reading the above linked section of the user guide I thought that volume based backup probably ends up in being able to restore data out of the backed up volumes but not a complete working machine as compared with backup mode complete system.
While VBR do have options to either not backing up vdisks or using BitLooker to skip certain file types or folders still being able to restore a machine I thought that maybe there's a similar option available for VAL, maybe even if not directly visible in the UI.

Regards!